Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2012, 07:40 PM
    Speech, what can I do to help at home?
    Aylas new school finally tested her speech. At her old school, the speech therapist sat with her on the playground for 20 minutes and wrote her off as not needing services. The new schools speech therapist was surprised at that, and fully tested her.

She doesn't have a language problem, in fact she excels her age peers in language usage. :)

Articulation is her problem. And the therapist said that she has trouble with TH, but she CAN form it when prompted, she just doesn't use the sound properly all the time. She called it 'voiceless' something or another. And I was told that with practice and time she will master it.

But she is completely unable to form the proper R sound, and the proper I sound in things like 'bird' (sounds more like bored for her) these problems are because she cannot form the sounds, at all. And she will need to be taught rather than just practicing.

How can I help her at home? Is there anything I can do to help her at home in addition to the speech therapy at school?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 08:45 PM
    This is truly something your therapist needs to discuss with you, They should be meeting with you with a learning plan.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2012, 09:58 PM
    K. Thanks chuck. We do have an appointment to go over her plan in speech next week. Today was just the IEP adjustment to include the testing results and the time the district is allotting them to spend with her each week.
    I guess I'm just kind of impatient and antsy about it lol. I want to jump on it and help her as much as I can.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 10:05 PM
    My friend was a speech therapist and used a mirror to show her students how to move their lips and tongue to make the various sounds. She also used rhyming words and had the students repeat them after her.

There's a speech and language headquarters near me. They work especially with autistic kids who have trouble communicating and pronouncing words. I'll post a link to their site. They will send you materials and helps for free. If not, let me know and I will arm wrestle them for some. One office is a few blocks from where I live and a block from my grocery store.

Center for Speech & Language Disorders

Also, click on Resources (left margin) and then Links for this --

Speech-Language Disorders
    www.asha.org
    www.speakingofspeech.com
    www.kidsource.com

Articulation Disorder
    www.asha.org

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speech [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 13 months and she only says mamma and dadda. She also points a lot and tries to say what she is pointing at. Should I worry that mamma and dadda is all she is saying at the moment ? Kind regards, Natasha

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, how can I use Text-to-Speech to speech Arbic using VB.NET

A speech [ 8 Answers ]

I have attend a public speaking course... n my teacher ask me to talk about "what makes me a chinese"so I dun have any idea... :( n I ned tis on tis wed... plzz.. help me wit it... thankss:D

A speech to be given on fashion for speech and drama grade five [ 1 Answers ]

My child has a project on fashion to do for speech and drama for grade 5 she has to also give a talk about fashion for 3 minutes she is twelve years old please help we don't know where to start

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

View more questions Search