Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cnsdirect Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 11:24 AM
    Gutter installation/design problem
    I've got a small patio with a chimney wall at its back and a sloped roof on either side. I need to install a gutter system and I'd prefer to not have the water flowing across the patio. Should I attenpt to bring the water down the slopped roofs? I know my question is a little vague, so I'm including a couple of photos to add a visual. Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images

SpringtimeHomes Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Mar 25, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Hi Cnsdirect. I should start by saying I don't see a cricket extending past the chimney walls which is a best practice at this problem location. Next time you do roof work you might want to consider adding this detail.

Are you sure need gutters there? Half the sloped roof area is protected by the overhang so you would be going through a lot of trouble for not much runoff. I think gutters would look pretty awkward there as well. I can't think of any good solution other than cutting through your concrete patio (assuming) to put in a drain for the downspout in the corner.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
    Often seen on homes without gutters is a device to divert rain water off the roof away from doors. Don't know what it is called but it amounts to a piece of angle aluminum at an angle on the roof to divert water away from the door. Seen here in red it would divert water from that part of the roof to the roof over the extended area to the left.
    Attached Images

JackOfFewTrades Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Mar 26, 2012, 05:36 AM
    I like the idea of the flashing along the roof to divert the water on the left side of the chimney to the longer slope where you would have eaves. Definitely no small pieces of trough on the little sloped roofs of the chimney if that is what you were thinking. Also If you run your trough from the left side of the chimney towards the little gable end that protrudes down further you can put a mitre there and run trough down that slope to another mitre at the bottom and along the lower side like you would have any ways.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Mar 28, 2012, 04:03 PM

If I understand the layout correctly, another idea is to put your eavestrough on the roof between the chimney and brick wall where you want it... and then bring the downspout from the left corner down about a foot and then mount it on the brick wall under the soffit. i.e. the downspout runs parallel to the soffit near the top of the brick wall, and then turns vertical once you reach the end of the brick wall on the left.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water problem box gutter [ 2 Answers ]

I purchaced a 100 year old farm house w/box gutters.I rarely have a leak at the first level except when I get a blowing rain from the east.I removed the siding sealed around the window replaced the flashing at the roof where first floor extends past second level.And am still problem must be where...

Design problem - Business Personal Property database [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working on moving my records from Excel to Access. The database so far is a table of assets, a table of Categories for grouping in a report (only 2 category records, Office Equipment and Computer Equipment), and a DateRange table to group report records by specific year periods with friendly...

Roof and gutter installation [ 20 Answers ]

My wife and I recently hired a local contractor to do some work on our house,an older ranch built in the 50's.A big part of this project was installation of a new roof,gutters,soffit and fascia.Shortly after this was done we had some rain,so this gave us a chance to check things out.We noticed we...

GFI Selection for gutter heat tape installation [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a specific GFI device for use in wet locations? I have exterior outlets that I want to use to power heat tape on the roof and gutters. Thanks :)

View more questions Search