Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ibkathy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 01:01 PM
    30 day notice for eviction in NY State
    My son has a month-to-month lease. His landlord has given him notice that he has 30 days to vacate the premises (noise complaint), which is in accordance with the lease terms. However, the notice was given to him on September 7th and stated he must vacate the premises by October 7th. If I understand it correctly, NY law requires that the 30 day notice would take effect on the last day of the rental month. Since the rent is due on the 1st of each month, in this case, September 1, and was paid on that date, the eviction would be effective November 1st, not October 7th as the landlord has advised. If I am correct, could you please give me the particular law, paragraph, etc. so that I may find it and present it to the landlord. If I am incorrect, please let me know that as well.

We expect that our son will be out by the 7th of October, but housing is not very prevalent this time of year and we'd like to have our bases covered just in case he is unable to find another place within the allotted time.

Thanks.
    Kathy
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 09:16 AM
    I'm not in NY, but I've never heard of a notice to vacate only being valid on the last day of the rental month. If he was provided the notice on the 9/7, then he needs to be out by 10/7. However, I'd make sure that he's out before 10/1 to ensure that the landlord doesn't try to keep his deposit as October rent, seeing as he would technically still be in the apartment in that month.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2008, 10:05 AM
    There is a link to each state's landlord / tenant laws in a sticky at the top of this forum. You can check there for your state's laws and/or just do an internet search for "New York state landlord tenant law". You should get several links to the property code.

Does he have a written lease? You'll want to consult that, too. A lot of specifics like dates for notices, etc, and dictated by the lease, as long as the lease doesn't violate the law. So you'll want to see what that says, as well.
    siennasister Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2010, 01:42 PM
    I am 60 years old and I have allowed my 41 year-old son to move (again) into my one bedroom apartment and sleep on my sofa. He has been verbally abusive and has a 4 1/2 year old daughter that he has been granted visitation every other weekend at my house. He does not work, I don't know if he is even looking for work, he gets $200 in food stamps in which he runs out in a week (I don't know if sells them or what), and what really gets on my nerves, he disrupts my sleep my coming in between 3am - 5am every night. He told me if I have him evicted (which I did once before through the court) that I would never see my granddaughter again. I want him out of my house. What can I do?
    LeahNicole086 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 06:34 AM
    I would look into GRANDPARENTS RIGHTS through NYS... Or go through the mother of the child and see the child through her if that is who the child resides with. Grandparents have rights too!
    handyman4all Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 10:09 AM
    Ya Kathy the law does state something like that but it just another way for your son to rip someone off a month of Rent. How would you like to work for a Month for someone and at the end of the Month your Employer doesn't pay you? No one would like that so why are you looking to have your Son do the same to someone else? Its Not Right... Never
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jan 24, 2012, 04:31 PM
    Hey "handyman"... please do not respond to posts that are over 3 years long. I'm sure the issue has been resolved. Plus.. your post give no legal advise... your just looking to chastise the poster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Eviction notice [ 3 Answers ]

How do I evict my son from my home in the state of Pennsylvania. He won't leave, won't do anything and is mean. Can't take it anymore

Eviction notice [ 4 Answers ]

I was served eviction papers from the sherrif here in Florida.It is a five day notice.What can I do a far as filing with the courts to get it extended so I can get paid up.

Eviction 3 day notice [ 13 Answers ]

My landlord had a 3 day failure to pay rent notice served by a friend. They added a late fee to the rent on the notice, had th friend deliver it at 9:30 at night. The landlords name was forged on the notice. They also mailed the same notice after it was hand delivered. I have gotten phone calls...

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

View more questions Search