Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 01:15 PM
    F-1 student after 5 years in US
    My friend came to US in Aug 2007 on F-1 visa. So I understand that his 5-years end in 2011, and he would be a resident alien from Jan 2012.

He will be filing f1040nr and f8843 for the last time for 2011, and will start filing f1040 from 2012 onwards.

However, I had a few questions for the time he will be on F-1 or F-1 OPT in 2012:
    - Will he have to pay FICA taxes (social security and medicare)?
    - Would the bank interest be taxable or exempt from taxes?

Thanks!
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Sep 16, 2011, 01:48 PM
    If he is paid wages or is self-employed the money would be subject to FICA. If his income is a scholarship, that would not be subject to FICA. Bank interest is taxable to resident aliens
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
    He becomes liable for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax withholding on 1 January 2012.

The bank interest becomes taxable on 1 January 2012; prior to that date, it is tax-exempt.
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2011, 02:16 PM
    I was afraid that this would be the case... Thanks for confirming that...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 18, 2011, 06:19 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Student loans over 20 years [ 1 Answers ]

I had a student loan 25 years. The school that I attended was closed down for failure to comply with students. The school would not supply students with jobs in their line of profession and when they graduated. I never got to graduate and did not get my diploma. This was in 1995. The federal...

F-1 student that moved from CA to WI and has had F-1 for 5 years [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, So this is my story... I got a F-1 visa to attend a summer program in 2004 and then attend college in US from 2005 to 2009 and started graduate school in the U in 2009. So I have had 3 F-1 visas (from different schools) in total, so do I count as a resident alien for tax purposes now? In...

F1 student from india for more than 5 years [ 1 Answers ]

I am on F1 student visa from India. I came to US in 2004 and by 2009 my stay in US completed 5 years. Till last year I was filing 1040NR-EZ. I have permanent home address in India and have closer connection to my home country. In March 2009, I got married in India and my wife came to US on student...

STudent loans over 12 years old [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Student loans are filing a default on loans from 93 94 and 95 that I have still have not been able to pay off. I have a payment agreement through my debt management plan but they still want to register default and refer amount to a collection agency...

Indian Student on F1 (over six years) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, VISA - F1 (India) (1) I have been in the US since 2001 July, but I am not sure about my filing status - (a) resident alien (b) non-resident alien. (2) Tuition gets added on to my gross income as an "earned income" and is taxable. Is there a way to claim a tax-credit on tuition?...

View more questions Search