Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2011, 12:06 PM
    Replace copper pipes in crawl space to pvc.
    I have a 35 year old home that has copper water pipes in the crawl space. I have had a few leaks recently where the copper had corroded through. So I want to get a rough ballpark idea what it might cost to replace all the copper with pvc in the crawl space under my house. It is about 1200 sq feet with 1 and 1/2 baths, kitchen and laundry room in the Columbia, SC area. Any info would be appreciated.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 3, 2011, 12:31 PM
    It's free to have some plumbers quote the job and they need to see the crawlspace, where the main is, etc.
    These days with flexible Pex for the supply lines, it shouldn't be too bad.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2011, 03:57 PM
    On top of Joypulv advice make sure you have 3 estimates, good luck.

John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 3, 2011, 09:07 PM
    Do you know which type of pipe you have, M,L or K? K should last about 100+ years. Have you inspected the pipe and found drips well within a length of straight pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 4, 2011, 08:23 AM
    All of our new construction was piped in type "L" copper. "M" copper's too thin and "K" too expensive and overkill.
    We can't quote prices for your area but we can show you how to do the job yourself and save big $. Interested? Click on back. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 4, 2011, 10:23 AM
    PEX is way to go these days. Agree with above posts: call 3 plumbers for free estimates, compare prices, ask lots of questions - and proceed with the work. Horizontal repipe should be matter of 1 (one) day of work. Let us know how you did. Milo

Sep 4, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Thanks for all the helpful answers. I'm not sure just what type of copper pipe I have, but there have been several leaks over the last couple years where the pipe had corroded through. Not in the same length of pipe, but scattered in different locations. I have had two estimates so far. One estimate was $900.00 for replacing just the horizontal pipes and $1500 for all the pipes including the vertical pipes also. The other estimate was
    $1400.00 for horizontal pipes and $2500.00 for all the pipes. Still waiting for the 3rd estimate. I was just trying to get some ballpark idea of what the average cost might be for a 1200 sq foot house, 1 and 1/2 baths, using PEX pipe. Thanks for any info. I know an inspection would have to be done to get an accurate estimate. I am just trying to get some ballpark idea of what an average job like that might cost in the Columbia, SC area.

Sep 4, 2011, 12:36 PM
    I would replace it all if the copper has leaked in several places. PEX is the way to go with repiping and existing home, especially in the verticle runs to fixtures. Make/tell all 3 plumbers to quote the same materials and specs. "I know an inspection would have to be done to get an accurate estimate." are you saying the first 2 quotes where given without an onsite inspection? If so they are worthless.

Sep 4, 2011, 12:49 PM
    Both the quotes I have received so far were given after an onsite inspection. But there is such a variation between the two quotes I was just trying to find out what some other similar jobs might have cost.

Sep 4, 2011, 12:57 PM
    Telling us the square footage of the home is not as helpful as you may be thinking. The length of each run and the number and types of each fixture have to be in the mix. Compare your quotes line by line, not just the bottom amount. What is each claiming for labor and how much for materials. See if they spec the exact type of materials and amount of each pipe length and connections and fittings. Any plumber who refuses to be specific on his quote is in a shadow in my book.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 4, 2011, 01:06 PM
    ?You have type "L" hard copper and those leaks sound like "pinhole" leaks caused by electrolysis. You might want to have your place checked out for a partial short to the copper piping. Ball park figure! Can't even do that. Want to ballpark figure then answer there questions. What's the sizes and developed length of all the pipe you want replaced? How much space in the attic and crawl space would I have to work in? Do I have to open up walls and how many? Where will the pipes start at? Do you furnish beer and snacks for the plumbers? OK! So the last one was a little "out there" but you see what I mean. All these are factored in when you give even a ballpark figure. Ya got to be there to see what you're going to run into. Which is why we discourage giving out estimates. Even ballpark ones. Cheers, Tom

Sep 4, 2011, 01:07 PM
    Telling us the square footage of the home is not as helpful as you may be thinking. The length of each run and the number and types of each fixture have to be in the mix. Compare your quotes line by line, not just the bottom amount. What is each claiming for labor and how much for materials. See if they spec the exact type of materials and amount of each pipe length and connections and fittings. Any plumber who refuses to be specific on his quote is in a shadow in my book.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I convert a hotels boiler copper pipes to pvc? [ 3 Answers ]

The copper pipes at the hotel in which I work have been springing leaking fairly frequently and the owner has decided if possible to convert the copper pipes to pvc pipes. But not throughout the entire hotel, only the main piping coming out of the boiler. First of all, is this even possible and...

Can I replace PVC water supply pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hot water supply leak under my kitchen sink. It appears limited to two PVC pipes(one coming straight from a metal pipe and the other joints downwards). Can I replace these pipes and if so how do I remove them? Should my local hardware store have what I need?

Might we regret using CPVC to replace bathroom copper pipes? [ 9 Answers ]

Our 1912 home has had growing water damage to the dining room ceiling. Pitted copper pipes are speculated as the problem (determined by a plumber). It is 34 degrees here (outside) and we are concerned about draining the system for too long. I'd like to go with CPVC but I'm concerned it has to...

PVC to Copper Pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a newly constructed condo, and it is a construction mess. One of the problems is that the whirlpool tub leaks heavy. The building is sittuated above a subterrainian gargae and the plumbing is visible in the ceiling of the garage. I am able to see the water from my tub,...

View more questions Search