Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fisk Posts: 147, Reputation: 5

Nov 2, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Gums swollen above wisdom tooth
    My wisdom tooth is out, I got a filling last year on it, and everything was fine until about a week ago, when my gums suddenly started to get swollen, behind and next to the tooth. I used to get this a lot when it was growing and I must say that sometimes I feel like it might still be growing. Anyway, my gums have been like this for a week now, the pain comes and goes. There's a hole between the actual tooth and the start of the swollen gums, which I tried to clean but there doesn't seem to be any food in. I thought it was going to heal 2 days ago but now its back. I try rinsing it with salt water, it relieves the pain for a bit but then it hurts again.

I'm not sure what I should be doing, since my dentist told me not to remove the tooth(it's growing just fine), but this REALLY hurts.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 03:35 PM

Sound like you have an infection that could progress into something a lot worse if you don't see your dentist soon.

Tick
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2010, 01:32 PM
    It sounds like the tooth might have a cavity in it and the gum tissue is growing up over the back of the wisdom tooth. Definitely go see the dentist. He/she might be able to remove the tissue, fill the tooth and all will be good again.
    fisk Posts: 147, Reputation: 5

Nov 7, 2010, 09:57 AM

Thanks for your answers. I went to the dentist and he gave me antibiotics and a mouthwash. He says that the tooth is fine, but there's a space between the tooth and the gyms that is filled with bacteria and that's what caused the swelling. I'm already feeling much better!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 7, 2010, 10:22 AM
    Perfect! I'm glad you got the help you needed.

Make sure you keep the area clean especially if you've eaten popcorn, whole grains or fibrous veggies like celery as these will get trapped in that space and cause the same problem again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Piece of tooth left in gums? [ 11 Answers ]

Earlier this year I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. The top two teeth were rotting and nearly half of each of them had broken off. I have since noticed something sticking out of the side of my gums where one of the top teeth used to be. It hasn't actually broken through the skin, it's...

Wisdom tooth [ 4 Answers ]

Why do my wisdom teeth smell?

7 month old Chihuahua with swollen gums. [ 4 Answers ]

So this morning I noticed that my little Chihuahua, Pookie, looked like she had something in her mouth. As usual, I picked her up and looked to see what she had (you'd be surprised at the things she'll try to eat). But problem is she wasn't chewing on anything, and on each side of her gums it kind...

Knot on my gums after tooth extraction [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the dentist last Tuesday had my left bottom molar pulled. My jaw bone (I though) was still killing me on Thursday & I went back to the dentist that afternoon to make sure I didn't have dry socket, he said it was heeling fine & looked great, Friday afternoon I noticed a knot on the outside...

View more questions Search