Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonsense21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 10:51 AM
    Evidence in wrongful termination
    I am involved in a wrongful termination case which is headed for arbitration. I have been shown various pieces of material evidence (letter, documents, etc) that my former employer has acquired to use against me. My lawyer has copies of the evidence. My question is am I personally permitted to have my own copies of this evidence? I have questioned my attorney about it and the issue always seems to be skirted somehow.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 11:05 AM

If your lawyer is not providing you with copies of evidence he has gotten then maybe you need a new lawyer. Your ex-employer has copies and your lawyer has copies and you have sen the copies, your lawyer should make you copies upon your request. There is no reason for him to not do so.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 11:51 AM

Yes, your lawyer should give you copies of whatever you ask for. However, just be aware that he may charge you an arm and a leg for copying fees. Are you paying him a fee or is he working on contingency?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Yes, your lawyer should give you copies of whatever you ask for. However, just be aware that he may charge you an arm and a leg for copying fees. Are you paying him a fee or is he working on contingency?
    The copying charge doesn't depend on that. If you have a written contract with your attorney it should specify how much he may charge per copy.
    nonsense21 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 01:16 PM
    Thank you all so very, very much for your responses. My lawyer has been provided to me by my union as I was an employee working under contract. Hence, I'm not directly paying him--my union dues are. I wanted to assure that I was entitled to copies before I became more demanding because I'm really not thrilled with him. As for paying for copies, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks again immensely.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 01:21 PM

My attorney agreement calls for $0.15 per page, don't know if that's common or not.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 15, 2010, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    My attorney agreement calls for $0.15 per page, don't know if thats common or not.
    A quarter per page is also common.

Not unreasonable, actually. Someone has to eat up time standing over a copying machine.

The best way to handle it IPO is to mark the pages you want to copy and just ask that they be copied. Be selective, in other words. People are more apt to demand a copying fee if you ask for everything in the file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongful termination? [ 1 Answers ]

Does an employer in Arizona have to operate by a certain time frame for termination? My sistuation occurred April 17th 2009 but I wasn't fired till May 12th 2009 with no warning or write up.

Wrongful termination [ 1 Answers ]

My son was working at a mall, private land. He went into clock in, and his boss told him they needed to talk to him. So he goes over and talks to them. They told him they were going to have to let him go, cause they got multiple phone calls saying that he wasn't doing his job for the amount of...

Wrongful termination [ 2 Answers ]

Can I sue my employer for wronful termination because he didn't like me? I did nothing wrong and performed my job very well as I always do at the same time should I also bring up the sexual harassment he has done to me and the sexual harassment that I have seen him do to others in front of me at...

Wrongful termination in PA [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Pennsylvania, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can be terminated while you are out on a medical excuse I had ovarian cysts rupture and did the proper procedures to call off and my boss terminated me during this time then she also said I misused office supplies without authorization...

Wrongful Termination. [ 2 Answers ]

OK... this is a very detailed and lengthy subject so I'll state the facts and hope for the best. I worked for a very important corporation for almost 4 years. I have had pristine job performance reviews all 4 years, and never had ANY issues getting along with others or thriving in a team...

View more questions Search