Ask
    harshap82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 10:15 PM
    ODBC to MS Access on Netware 6
    Have the following problem:

I want to link a Mysql db on a linux server to a MS Access db on a
    Novell
    Netware 6 server.

Now it seems tha MS Access requires the Jet engine and Windows client. So is it that Netware will only store the mdb files, but to contact the Access database, one would not be able to do that without the Windows client?

Kindly help me clear myt concepts

Thanks
    Harsha
    Slogmeister Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Jan 9, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Yeah, what you're saying doesn't quite make sense. You can't link DATABASES. You can, however, use the Access PROGRAM as a front end to a MySQL database, but it won't be pretty. The Access program only requires the Jet Engine to access it's own databases. It uses OLEDB and ODBC to interface with other databases, but then it's only operating as a FRONT END. Netware should have nothing to do with any of this, aside from operating system authentication. It might be easier if you explain what your goal is, rather than trying to explain the technical concepts behind it - particularly when you're not really confident in them. Understanding how to achieve the goal will iron out the concepts in your head.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PHP Connection Problem with ODBC After Moving out from Local Machine [ 7 Answers ]

In the following, Section 1 was my original code. The php code connected with an Access file was running Apache server in my local machine, and they did work fine. However, after moving the php and Access file to a web server, and changed $db='W:\\EmpRosterDev\\UserDB.mdb'; in the php, it gets...

PLEASE HELP: About Novell Netware [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have a research project about Novell Netware and I will be presenting it on class next week. And I'm still confused what topics to discuss because it seems too broad. If you have suggestions, websites or presentations I could check, please post it. I also have some questions...

What is netware? [ 1 Answers ]

Please identify the benfit and function of netware, what is the purpose to use netware?

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error ' [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to access the personal particulars of pen-pals listed in "Hands Across The World" I get the following message: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change...

View more questions Search