Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Dec 13, 2009, 05:06 AM
    Computer - system restore
    I am using Windows XP, and every time I have tried to use system restore, I go through the procedure only to be told it failed and couldn't restore to the date I asked for. I've tried other dates, read through all the help and support stuff for windows, but to no avail :( A few years ago when I was using Windows Millennium, system restore worked no problem. I know this question has been asked before, but the latest I could find was from 2007, and unfortunately didn't solve the problem, can anyone help please? Thanks
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2009, 05:43 AM

The next step to try is to do a "repair" using the Windows distribution disk. That will overwrite disk files using the original files. You will have to do quite a bit of updating after that. If that fails, you're probably in for a clean install.

When System Restore fails, it's usually because there's some significant damage somewhere on the disk.

I've not had much luck using the "repair" feature. Quite honestly, if it were my computer, I'd do a clean reinstall of Windows.
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Dec 13, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    The next step to try is to do a "repair" using the Windows distribution disk. That will overwrite disk files using the original files. You will have to do quite a bit of updating after that. If that fails, you're probably in for a clean install.

When System Restore fails, it's usually because there's some significant damage somewhere on the disk.

I've not had much luck using the "repair" feature. Quite honestly, if it were my computer, I'd do a clean reinstall of Windows.
    Thank you Perito, I'm not really sure what that means, but I know somenone who will know... thanks again :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System restore [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I cannot use my system restore on my laptop.

System restore won't restore [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to restore to earlier point, each time I try it goes through motions then say canot restore.:confused:

System restore - unable to restore [ 2 Answers ]

I have tried to use the system restore. It keeps coming back cannot be restored. I have created a date and then tried to restore and still says it is unable to restore. Any suggestions?

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

I have WIN XP, Service Pack 2. When I go to System Restore, there are no earlier restore points to go to. I have always had earlier points to choose from. Is there something wrong with the program? Thanks.

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya Shipmates Got a problem and hope someone can help. When a restore point is created on my Pc, either manually or when using Windows update, the bold date has gone the next day. System restore IS enabled, I have well over the minimum 200Mb of disk space that is recommended, have Ad-Aware,...

View more questions Search