Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 15, 2009, 05:27 PM
    "Modified thinset" questions
    What ratios are appropriate for water to mix when making up some modified thinset? I'm using RS "Level Quik" if that helps.

Thanks to the folks on this very board, I'm not flipping out over a fairly long crack I found in the floor of my slab-on-grade house in San Antonio. Our pediatrics office told us that our carpet was contributing heavily to our oldest child's allergies. After pulling up the carpet, we have no way to disagree. Disgusting. We're planning to stain and seal the concrete and leave it a bare floor. A lot of businesses do it around here and it looks great.

That said, I have this long set of cracks running from one side of the house to the other. The cracks are tight on the edges of the foundation - ZERO gap - but they spread out to about 0.5mm (sorry... military guy by background and I don't estimate in inches well) at the very widest. The crack has a segment in the middle where there is no visible cracking... yet. The house is about 12 years old.

Some time ago, I asked about fixing this sort of thing and was told that a modified thinset was what was needed. So... I went out and purchased a bag. The only issue is that I have no idea what parts water to mix I need... and I don't know what it is supposed to look like once I mix it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 05:41 PM

There are many tile experts here at AMHD. Look upo blkjack and try to send him a private message asking to read your post.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 05:51 PM

For tiling I mix to consistency about like soft ice cream. Stick your finger in it. When you pull your finger out it should leave a small peak. You would want a consistency stiff enough to trowel and soft enough to flow into or be pushed down into the crack.
    Is Level Quik a tile setting compound or is it a floor leveling mixture? Sounds like a floor leveling mixture.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 15, 2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks, guys. I'll try the soft ice cream approach. Glad I asked, since I had intended to mix it to the consistency of maple syrup. I assumed it had to be very thin in order "seek its own level" as claimed on the bag.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 07:07 PM

Maple syrup or pan cake batter mix is not bad. Especially since I think what you have is floor leveling material.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeking free "Ask" site,specifically for "Holistic/Naturopathic questions [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there exists on the internet a free "Ask" site, like this one, but that pertains to specifically asking questions relating to subjects such as Holistic, Naturopathic, Homeopathic, Allopathic Medicine, Alternative etc. Thanks.:confused:

Homework with book "Contemporary Business 2006" questions [ 2 Answers ]

Questions 1–20: #050618 1. Which of the following facts would lead you to believe that your company takes customer satisfaction seriously? A. Products are all less expensive than competitor products. B. There are more distribution outlets for products than competitors have. C. Regular...

View more questions Search