Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Manufactured home? Closing costs?
    Myhusband and I want to buy a home really soon. We have looked online at some homes in our area. Thing is... we don't have a down or money aside yet for closing costs. Would it be stupid to put a offer on a home... hoping to get the seller to pay for closing. We have also looked at manufactured homes. Where we live over 40% of our town live in manufactured homes. Would it be stupid to buy a manufactureed home rather than a regular home? Also I heard that a person need a full year of home owners insurance to put down when we buy the house. Is that true?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 08:12 PM
    People in your situation were able to buy homes with no money down for several years. That crashed along with the economy. Many of those people are now facing foreclosure.

If you can find a lender today who will loan you 100% of the value of the home it will be a miracle. You may find a seller who will cover all or a portion of your closing costs but yes, you will still have to pay for 1 year of homeowner's insurance in advance. In most places you will also have to pay at least 3 months of real estate taxes in advance. And if you're borrowing 100% then your monthly mortgage payments will have to include mortgage insurance payments as well.

Try to save up at least enough to put down 15%. That will give you a better chance at getting a loan.
    rhiannahunt Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Aug 11, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    People in your situation were able to buy homes with no money down for several years. That crashed along with the economy. Many of those people are now facing foreclosure.

If you can find a lender today who will loan you 100% of the value of the home it will be a miracle. You may find a seller who will cover all or a portion of your closing costs but yes, you will still have to pay for 1 year of homeowner's insurance in advance. In most places you will also have to pay at least 3 months of real estate taxes in advance. And if you're borrowing 100% then your monthly mortgage payments will have to include mortgage insurance payments as well.

Try to save up at least enough to put down 15%. That will give you a better chance at getting a loan.
    So there really is no point unless we have some money. When you buy a house, do you put some of that on your tax return?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 08:50 PM

If you have such little money that you don't have money for closing or money for a down payment you need to wait to buy anything, set up a budget, start saving money for this
    Cinderblocks Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 05:55 AM

My wife and I were in a situation like yours. The majority of our assets weren't liquid and with the stock market the way it is I wasn't about take a loan against my 401k. My mortgage broker found me a HUD loan for first time buyers which enabled me to get into the house for 2 1/2% down while adding my closing costs into the mortgage. All in all it cost me around 7k to get into my 220k home. If you can't scrape at least 10 grand together don't bother calling a realtor. There are many many unforseen costs with a new house from furnace cleanings to furniture to lawn mowers that add up QUICKLY.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closing Costs [ 1 Answers ]

What closing costs can you deduct?

Closing costs [ 3 Answers ]

We closed on our new home on Dec. 1. There was an issue that came up at closing about the amount we needed to bring with us. The attorney's office gave us a number nearly $4,000 more the anticipated. Appparently this was the cost of the hud insurance(?) for one year. According to our loan...

Seller's closing costs [ 3 Answers ]

What closing costs are the seller's. What costs are negotiable?

Closing costs and fees [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking into 2 mortages and would like to know if they have closing cost like a regular mortgage application.

Closing costs? [ 3 Answers ]

We Are About To Refinance,the Total Would Be 185.000 We Would Like A 30yr Fixed With No Points At 6.5% We Don't Know What The Closing Costs Will Be.does Anyone Know Approx How Much It Would Be.

View more questions Search