Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Aug 24, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Vista Home Prem 32 & 64 Bit
    Dear Puter Experts,

I have a new PC running Vista Home Prem 64 Bit (Pre-installed).

Other information:

PC Model: Acer Aspire X3200 Desktop
    Processor: AMD Phenom 8550 Triple Core 2.20Ghz
    RAM: 3.0Gb
    Display Adaptor: NVIDIA GeForce 9200

I also have my own full copy of Vista Home Premium 32 Bit.

I am considering downgrading from the 64 Bit to the 32 Bit Version. One reason for this is that I have 32 Bit version programs etc, which are not compatible with the 64 Bit version and there are no 64 Bit compatible versions available.

My questions are:

(1) If I downsize from 64 to 32 is it likely to cause problems?

(2) What are the advantages of 64 Bit over 32 Bit?

(3) I read somewhere that because of the high RAM etc, of my PC it is likely that I will not be able to use all the power my new PC has. Is this correct?

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

John
    (Poseidon)
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 07:51 AM

You can install 32 on the system

32bit will recognize 3.2gb ram if you have 4gb installed (only 3.2 gb for 32 bit systems)
    -64bit system can use the whole 4gb of memory

64 bit computers process data in larger chunks than 32 bit computers. This means a number of things, but the big 2 are:

1) When programs are written to support 64-bit processors, those programs will generally perform faster than on a 32-bit processor of the same speed. This is partially because 32-bit computers must handle 64-bit numbers in two steps, whereas 64-bit computers only need to use one step.

2) 64-bit processors can address more memory than 32-bit processors. This means your server can have more RAM, and therefore can store more data in memory, making memory-intensive programs like databases faster.
    Can find more inof about differences with Google
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Aug 24, 2009, 09:37 AM
    For seahwk83,

Thank you for your excellent reply. It was very easy to understand

I am assuming that as I only have 3.00gb RAM a 32 Bit OS will recognise and use the whole of it although data will be processed more slowly.

How much more slowly are we talking about?

Kind rgads,

John
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 12:32 PM

You will not notice any slowness with 3gb RAM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prem. Ejac. Is my hell [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 17 an I finally admitted I have premature ejaculation and its eating me up inside, I'm afraid to do anything with other girls in fear that I will be laughed at an have it spread around but now I've tried to stay away from sexual contact with girls completely and its not working I keep getting...

Vista Home Premium [ 3 Answers ]

Computer will not complete boot up process. Returns to bios check from the welcome screen. Any suggestions?

Code 19 - Vista Home Basic [ 16 Answers ]

Can anybody help me with this problem? My CD/DVD Drive does not work; in the Device Manager there is a message which says: "windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19). Please note that my PC runs with Vista...

Window vista home basic [ 1 Answers ]

Hello every body who you are responsible to answer my question. I have bought toshiba laptop since the last two monthes and I was enjoying in having doing with it. But uffortunatly, now it stops to operate properly ,at first it starts as if it were good (it accepts user acount and starts to...

2007 ford mustang gt prem [ 3 Answers ]

Due to the unreliabilty of my 2002 nissan altima 2.5s, the sole reason I got this piece of sh.. I was thinking of purchasing a 2007 ford mustang gt. Does anyone have any experience with the reliabilty of this vehicle?

View more questions Search