Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 08:22 AM
    Trying to find age of garden tiller
    I recently acquired a used Lowe's brand garden tiller, manufactured by MTD. I have the model and serial number, and just wondered if there is any way I can find out the year it was made?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 08:31 AM

Hi,
    Yes it usually is; could have put those in the post; and the engine should have a Code that is the date of manufacture for it.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 24, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Yes it usually is; could have put those in the post; and the engine should have a Code that is the date of manufacture for it.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks for your prompt response. Yeah, I should have included in the post the info. Anyway, the MTD model # is 211406062, and serial # is 21-058-9296. It has a 5 hp B&S engine, but the Code is not legible. Thanks again for your input.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Aug 24, 2009, 09:11 AM

Hi,
    The third digit is the final digit of the year - 1991. The middle triplet of numbers - 406 - is the model and the final three is the customer designation - 062 is Lowe's.
    I did not find a manual except as "406" on Free lawn and garden product owners manuals, user guides & how-to instructions | ManualsOnline and found a parts breakdown at Lawn Mower Parts and Lawn Tractor Parts Snapper Cub Cadet MTD and More
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 24, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    The third digit is the final digit of the year - 1991. The middle triplet of numbers - 406 - is the model and the final three is the customer designation - 062 is Lowes.
    I did not find a manual except as "406" on Free lawn and garden product owners manuals, user guides & how-to instructions | ManualsOnline and found a parts breakdown at Lawn Mower Parts and Lawn Tractor Parts Snapper Cub Cadet MTD and More
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thanks again for your very helpful answer, exactly what I wanted to know. Btw, I also did find a manual for this tiller. It can be found at:

PDF Manual Web Archive

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Garden tiller won't run. [ 6 Answers ]

Bought a Mantis tiller and loved it, started every time and did a good job. Used it approx. 2 yrs. Got it out this year, gased it up and it started within 2 or 3 pulls of the rope. When I tried to engage the tines the tiller would stop but would start right up again but kept stopping when I tried...

MTD Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

[FO MTD Garden Tiller - Model #317385-500 How do you put the two drive belts on? Is it possible to get a manual for that model?

Green Thumb Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently purchased a 8 HP Rear Tine Green Thumb Tiller. The tiller is chain driven and the tines keep locking up. I thing that something is broke and there is a piece of dabre inside the houseing. I took the tiller apart but the tine axel is keeping me form separating the housing. The...

MTD Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

2005 MTD, 7 hp, garden tiller will not shift out of forward gear. Why?

Green Thumb Garden Tiller [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Green Thumb Garden Tiller. I need to know where to buy a replacement part for our tiller; the cap for chain drive seal. The motor is a Briggs & Straton, the plate on it says Lawn Chief 53GT. Where I can get parts? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search