Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 01:44 PM
    Dog won't walk
    ... well, he will, just not from our house, as it stands he won't walk past the top of our street, (ive been told it might have something to do with going near a bridge that he used to walk under, the walkway is very thin and hence the traffic get closer)
    My parents have tried a lot of different methods, taking treats out with them and using them to tempt him to walk, the ignore and carry on walking thing, even telling him there's a cat just a bit further down the road, but he got wise to them all, and as soon as he gets to the top of the street stops and sits or lyes down.

However if he is driven out of the street, he will walk happily wherever you take him.

My question is, does anybody have any tips, hints or tricks that can help my parents to get him to walk properly
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 02:12 PM

Sounds like he's afraid.

Treats don't usually work, facing his fear will.

The worst thing your parents could do is to coddle him when he shows fear. That reinforces the fear in his mind and makes the problem worse.

He has to learn to associate walks with good things.

Sadly I don't really have a cure all for this.

Cesar Millan has done a lot of work with dogs with phobias. Google Bear, there are tons of videos and reports, that may help. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 04:00 PM
    OK, thanks Alty, ill have a look for some videos and mention it to my parents
    Pets Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    ok, thanks Alty, ill have a look for some videos and mention it to my parents
    Cesar is great, if anyone can give you some tips it's him. :)

I could help, if I was there, but it's hard to help with this type of problem via typing. ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Oh wait is the 'tssst' guy?
    Pets Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by albear View Post
    oh wait is the the 'tssst' guy?
    That's him.

I know, a lot of people think his methods are harsh but he knows his stuff.

Thing about it like this. Dogs are dogs, have to treat them that way, otherwise
    They aren't whole.

He's saved my butt many times. Chewy, our pup, well, we follow the Cesar method. He's a beagle, hard headed, strong willed, the doggy version of me. ;) The only problem with him is the digging, the rest, well, it's all good. Not bad for a 1 year old pup, a beagle at that. ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Bear, you might also try Victoria Stillwell's site... she does that It's Me or the Dog show.

Official Victoria Stilwell Website - author & host of 'It's Me or the Dog'
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 06:07 PM
    Thanks cats
    Pets Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 07:02 PM

Bear, are you still here?

I got a call from my neighbor. The cordless phone was dead, it took longer then I thought it would.

Forgive me?
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 04:32 AM
    Forgive you? For what? There's nothing to forgive :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog won't walk on leash [ 7 Answers ]

My daughter and I have rescued a boston terrier from a bad situation she's 6 months old and before we got her she had been on a rope tied to a patio table from we understand the whole time they had her. Now we have her and my daughter lives in an apartment where they have to wear a leash we can't...

Why won't my dog walk outside? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog is about 6 mnts and she will not walk she's kind of a bad dog and my sister wants to get rid of her because she won't stop biting things and ripping things and she won't walk outside with or without a leash so then she does all her business inside which is starting to make the house smell a...

I want to walk my dog but my mom won't let me! [ 6 Answers ]

I need some help well a lot of help... So I have a dog he's a Morkie, and he's getting FAT. I want to take him for a walk but my mom won't let me! She says I`m to young I`m Bigger Than Him And He Can't Pull Me! So can you give me some tips? :confused:

Won't walk on a leash [ 12 Answers ]

I have 7 y.o. Lhasa apso that I rescues 1 year ago. She was found with her collar embedded in her neck, and it had to be surgically cut out. She will not walk with a leash, and she is a different dog if I even put a collar on her (and I don't blame her.) She actually visibly shakes sometimes...

Puppy won't walk [ 2 Answers ]

We recently found a 5 month old pomeranian on our doorstep, after taking it to the vet to see if it was microchipped we found she had not been. At first she was scared of everyone, shaking and shivering when we got too close but now she is much better and is not afraid of us anymore. But I do have...

View more questions Search