Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 19, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Toilet overflow - secondary damage concern
    Our toilet in the master bedroom overflowed (banana peel :mad: by one of the kids). Water soaked the carpet and ran into the walls, as the toilet area is not much larger than the toilet itself.

I pulled up the carpet and dried everything down as well as I could. I've now got a fan on the room blasting on high, as well as the recirc fan in the ceiling running.

Need I freak out about potential damage to the sole plates in the walls surrounding the toilet room?

The walls of the room are opposite the:

• Exterior wall
    • Dining room
    • A small linen closet
    • The master shower
    • and an opening that serves as a "door" to the toilet area

Edit: I should add that the water did go "through" the wall into the linen closet and dining room (carpet was damp - not soaked - in both areas)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 08:04 PM

One overflow should not do too much damage since you caught it early. Remove any carpet padding it will never dry before mold/mildew starts growing. Try lifting the carpet around 2 or 3 walls and blow the fan under the carpet, kind of floating it. Dehumidifier would help too and let bot run for 48 hours.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Jun 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    One overflow should not do too much damage since you caught it early. Remove any carpet padding it will never dry before mold/mildew starts growing. Try lifting the carpet around 2 or 3 walls and blow the fan under the carpet, kind of floating it. Dehumidifier would help too and let bot run for 48 hours.
    Thank you! I tried to thank you by rating your answer, but I was told by the website that I need to "spread reputation around" more. That said, I appreciate the response.

I've actually pulled up and cut the pad and taken it outside to dry on the picnic table in the back yard. The carpet is pulled up and sort of hanging from the toilet seat, while a fan blasts on it on the high setting. My biggest fear was a rotted sole plate in any of the walls... but you've calmed that worry.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 19, 2009, 08:12 PM

Thanks for trying. That padding usually will not dry fast enough to avoid mold unless it is a foam rubber pad. If it jute just pitch it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Overflow [ 1 Answers ]

What dose it mean when your toilets overflow into the bathtubs?

Damage From you.S. Extremists a Concern [ 69 Answers ]

Personally I think damage from any extremist is a concern... Read the entire article here. The 68 domestic terrorist incidents in the researcher's database since 9/11 break down like this: 36 by Earth Liberation Front 5 by Animal Liberation Front

Toilet trying to overflow [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. We recently had trouble with our downstairs toilet. The toilet was leaking at the base and while repairing it the plumber noticed that the cast iron flange was cracked. The flange was replaced as well. However, now when we flush the toilet, it flushes but gets dangerously full like it is...

Toilet overflow [ 2 Answers ]

The answer from Keppitsimplestupid was helpful in guideing me in new directions. Just yesterday we had a whole house water treatment system installed. Today(no Conection) we noted another brown spot on the ceiling under the worst offending toilet. Keep it simple mentioned the flange which...

Toilet overflow [ 5 Answers ]

What makes the toilet overflow when washing machine drains?

View more questions Search