Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JJH3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Need to replace old central air unit. R-410 vs R22?
    My 24 year old Carrier central air conditioner finally needs to be replaced. Should I replace it with the newer 410 system or purchase another R22 unit? I was considering going with a Bryant system. Is Bryant the same as Carrier? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2009, 08:17 PM
    R22 is on its way out go with the 410A system and always get your quote with a 10 years parts and labor warranty with what ever system you go with.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2009, 08:27 PM
    Everyone to his own thoughts,, they tell me r-22 will still be around for 20-25 years
    If a new unit is installed right,, its not going to need r-22 added anyway,, It doesn`t wear out,, a goodly installed unit should last and be good for 20 years or more
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wmproop View Post
    everyone to his own thoughts ,,,they tell me r-22 will still be around for 20-25 years
    If a new unit is installed right,,,,its not gonna need r-22 added anyway,,,It doesn`t wear out,,,a goodly installed unit should last and be good for 20 years or more
    Sure it will be around just like the R12 but go and buy a pound of it for your old car. The 134A took over and it's a lot cheaper and all the automobiles are no longer using R12 . The heating and air industry is doing the same thing phasing it out. See how hard it is to get a 10 year part and labor warranty on a R22 system that will cover refrigerant. But that's the thing about opinions we all have them.
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2009, 02:48 PM

Bryant,Payne and Eco-Temp are All Carrier products!

They are the same!

Here is their sites:

Payne.com

Bryant.com

Reply soon!

P.S:Ballengerb1 dosen't know his facts!

Mower_Man
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jun 1, 2009, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH3 View Post
    My 24 year old Carrier central air conditioner finally needs to be replaced. Should I replace it with the newer 410 system or purchase another R22 unit? I was considering going with a Bryant system. Is Bryant the same as Carrier? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Yes, Bryant and a few other brands are made by Carrier.

Make sure you get various quotes from various brands, with varying SEER ratings. Installation is key.

The R-22 Apocalypse some have predicted is unlikely to occur due to stockpiles of R-22, recycled R-22 and drop in replacements. If the price differential is minimal between systems you like 410A would be preferred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central a/c unit [ 3 Answers ]

My a/c unit when I woke up this morning wasn't working it was 80 in my house. The fan on the unit outside isn't turning. The inside is working.

Installing a new shower unit to replace old tub unit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! My husband and I are trying to install a replacement shower unit that fits in the space that our one unit tub was... The old one unit bath tub had walls that went up on all sides and had to be cut up in order to remove the unit from the house. The old tub unit was installed when we...

Replace existing A/C unit or upgrade to R410A-using unit? [ 3 Answers ]

Our A/C unit is slowly going on the fritz: struggling to provide cool air, now the 2nd time this summer. Technician came out to the house and suggested we remove the current unit, which uses R-22, and replace it with one that uses R410-A since the R-22 is getting forced out anyway. Now my...

Need to replace central heat and air unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a two story 1800 sq foot home and I need to replace the central heat and air unit. Is a 14 or a 15 seer standard for this size of home? Or would the 15 seer be a waste of money?

Central air unit fan not turning when unit on [ 3 Answers ]

Recently our central air unit stop producing cool air and noticed our fan was not turning outside, and was making a loud humming noise, can this fan be replaced without replacing the entire unit :confused:

View more questions Search