Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noideaburrow Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Fan on electric heat/cooling unit will not kick off
    Our electric heating cooling unit continuously runs. During the winter we had to run the heat on emergency heat because the unit would not kick, the house always stayed comfortable. Now we have attempted to run the unit the last 2days (for the first time for this spring) it cools very well but the fan runs continuously and last night the pipes that are inside (where the filter area is located) frozen up.
    Noidea burrow
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 07:34 PM

My first thought would be that the contactor in the out door unit has the points stuck together. Can you turn the unit off from the thermostat? If not it could also be a short between the wire on the Y terminal and the wire from the R terminal in the thermostat.

Tell me a little about the AC, does it cycle off and on by the thermostat but the fan keeps running or does the AC not cycle off and on.

May 28, 2009, 07:00 PM
    Thanks for reviewing my question, to tell you a little about my unit as letmetellu requested. It is a Carrier Unit I am not sure of the age we just purchased last yr. The answer to your question: yes you can turn the unit off by the thermostat and the fan does continue to run, and yes it cycles on and off by the thermostat and the fan continues to run. I read on the inside unit some electrically plate on the unit it has a Supply Circuit-Dual. I really do not know if that information is relevant. Thanks again and I appreciate your feedback!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 07:01 PM

The indoor fan always runs or the outdoor fan?? If it is the oudoor unit, I agree it is probably the concactor
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 07:15 PM
    If you had a high electric bill in the winter and the unit never shut off, the electric heat strips was taking over because the heat pump was not able to take the load. If it runs all the time in cooling and not doing its job and the refrigeration line is freezing up you got a problem: Air flow or low on refrigerant. By the way your describing it I would say its low on refrigerant.

May 28, 2009, 07:26 PM

Joshdta, it is the outside unit that continues to run. What is the contactor? How can this be tested to find out if it is the problem? Thanks for the feedback!

May 28, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Electric bill was high at first, until we started the emergency heat, the cooling works good and then I believe when the thermostat mode is turned to off the vents have warm air blowing out, the blowing from the vent is not a normal blowing pressure but is very little pressure... no idea and I do not know any a/c terms yet still learning
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2009, 07:41 PM
    If the out side system runs after you turn the thermostat to off. You have a bad contactor(stuck closed).
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2009, 04:36 AM

http://yueqing-shi-shinaidi-electric...ges/283101.jpg

See the small two buttons in the middle? After you turn the t-stat off these should pop back out, if the don't then they are stuck closed. TURN THE 220 VOLT POWER OFF and the t-stat and try poking them with a screw driver you may be able to free them, but odds are you will need a new contactor.
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2009, 04:55 AM

You might need freon.

Reply Soon!

Mower_Man!

P.S:Ballengerb1 Dosen't Know His Facts!
    tw.stanley Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 12:51 PM

First check your filter, then the coil. Never use a restrictive filer! Such as an electrostatic or the paper filter made by 3M. Remember, if your not pulling air your not pushing air!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coleman Evcon Electric Heat/Air unit filter placement [ 7 Answers ]

We live in a rented mobile home in Texas; the landlord requires us to change filters once a month in the heat/air unit, which is a Coleman Evcon. (There is no model number visible.) The filters were sitting tilted along the side, inside the case, when we moved in. We have lived here over a year and...

Changed from separate cooling & heating unit to combined unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mobile home & when it was set up in 96 we had separate cooling & heating units run off one thermostat. We had a 3 ton ac unit & an electric furnace inside for heat. This past summer we bought a 4.5 ton ac & heating combined unit. We hooked up to wiring that old ac unit was hooked up to...

Heat pump , in cooling cyce unit runs no cold air [ 1 Answers ]

1970's heat pump Heil runs in cooling cycle, compressor intermediately runs for approximently 2 seconds, every 30 to 45 seconds, no cold air, all information wirering schematics serial numbers unreadablle or missing, charging ports and service valves was not visiable from service panells, my...

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

When A/C unit comes on, outside fan doesn't always kick on [ 3 Answers ]

I have a heat pump and in the winter I have no problems but when the A/C is used it is not the same. Sometimes when I turn on the A/C the fan on the heat pump doesn't come on. The first time it happened I went to check out the problem and when I set down a couple tools on the top of the unit...

View more questions Search