Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2009, 11:01 AM
    Papaver Somniferum
    I've always been under the impression that opium and it's plant, papaver somniferum, are illegal to own, but I came across some ambiguous information on the internet. People said they grow it and it's not illegal so long as you're not harvesting large quantities of opium and selling it. According to my state laws and federal law, all parts of the papaver somniferum plant except the seeds are illegal. Which seems stupid because I could legally buy the seed but the second I plant it I'm a criminal. I have seen poppy plants sold in gardening stores, but I guess they weren't papaver somniferum.

Does anyone know anything else about this, whether it's one of those laws that they're just not enforcing, so it's technically not illegal?

You can buy papaver somniferum seeds online from stores based in the US, so I'm sure you can find them at Home Depot, too.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Apr 19, 2009, 11:36 AM
    I've seen plenty of opium poppies growing around here. Most people (including the police) have no idea what they are. Its not a high priority criminal offense. So unless you are selling the opium, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search