Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdgriffith18 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Washing machine repipe
    OK so the washing machine is in the garage the house is rather old probably 50 to 60 years although most things seem to be in decent shape my problem is that the washing machine was causeing the bathroom sink on the opposite wall to fill with water I figured it had to be the way the washer was piped so I took all the piping out and started where the black iron pipe fitting went to pvc and I went to a tee and then put the plug in it for a clean out then with the bull head facing up ran to another tee bull head facing horizontal and connecting the washing machine using a trap the tee then connected to a vent pipe but now instead of the sink overflowing the washer won't drain without the pvc pipe overflowing
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Hi JDgriffith18:

I'm thinking it may be a good idea to SNAKE the drain line using a medium cable machine... see picture. You can rent these from almost any rental store. Purchase some leather gloves and safety glasses and see if you can snake the drain...

Let me know if you have any questions.

MARK
    Attached Images

Mar 17, 2009, 04:09 PM

I took a snake and snaked it for about 35 feet it doesn't really feel like its stopped up or really has and build up so I went under the house and traced it out it is a 1-1/2 galv. Pipe that enters the crawl space and appears to have 2 sinks and now the washer on it now and everything is 1-1/2 pipe even the new pvc pipe
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 04:19 PM
    1.5" IS EXTREMELY SMALL TO HAVE ALL YOU MENTION HERE...BUT IT WORKED BEFORE...HUH? 2" is minimum recommendation for most washing machines today. Is this a NEW washing machine?

I'm betting that the galvanized pipe connects into a cast iron pipe somewhere and I'm also betting that the clog will be at the junction where the galvanized joins the cast iron. Here, if clogged, this area is famous for problems as dissimilar metals can cause an "electrolytic deposit" of minerals that cause the pipe to get choked down to damn near 3/4"...

What happens if you run a hose down the drain? If it backs up.. you may have to snake further OR cut into the galvi. Pipe at a place that is closer to the cast iron/galvi. Junction and snake from there. You can use a shielded clamp (see picture) to rejoin the pipes if needed.

Check for the junction I talked about... best case you can cut the pipe about 6 inches from where it joins the cast iron and use a hammer and long screwdriver to clean out the build up. Sometimes a snake simply cannot budge these type blockages... ;)

Let me know what you think...

MARK
    Attached Images

Mar 17, 2009, 04:32 PM

The drain line does go under the house and runs about 50 feet and ties into what appears to be 4 in cast iron sewer drain line which is just above the dirt if I were to run a separate drain line from the washing machine to the sewer what kind of touble is involved with tieing into the cast is it OK to do this and will I need a trap and a vent in the new line if I did run that route

Mar 17, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Nothing about the setup or equipment has changed just the sink fills with water now I am thinking about capping off the washer tie in and just letting whatevers on that line remain and run a new one for the washer
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 04:52 PM
    OK...

First, I would cut into the pipe where it joins the cast iron... see what you find. If needed, use screwdriver and hammer to open the pipe to full open. That may get you up and running again.

If that doesn't work and you decide to repipe this then you need a 2" drain line, a 2" ptrap and an 1.5" vent. You should install cleanouts at all major changes of direction and close to where you connect into the cast iron.

Connecting into cast iron is a bit involved, but with basic tools it is something we do all the time so glad to talk you through if you want.

Let me know.

Mar 17, 2009, 05:33 PM

OK thanks for your time I need to get back over there and take another look and really figure out what's up I will def. check all the things you told me again and see what turns up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine makes grinding noise when washing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Performa washing machine - about 5 years old. It makes a grinding noise when washing. Spin cycle is still quiet. Any suggestions about what to check?

Washing machine overflow but main supply/machine were off [ 10 Answers ]

Went away on Tues and came back today. Before I left I shut off the main water supply at the hot water heater. I turned on fawcett in the kitchen to see if it was off. Trickled for a second so I assumed it was off. Came back tonight and washing machine was filled to the top and I think it...

What makes a washing machine stop drainingthe dirty waterMy washing mach [ 2 Answers ]

My washing machine stopped draining. I have no warranty on it and I'd like to know if it's something I can take care of myself without the cost of a technician coming to my house

Washing Machine Drain- How high can machine lift H2O [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Thinking about moving the washer down in the basement but the main sewer drain leaving the house is about 2' off the floor. There is currently a sewer lift installed for downstairs toilet that complicated cutting into the existing drain for new Y. Without getting to detailed, there is an...

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

View more questions Search