Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starter Guy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Trane furnace ignitor will not ignite gas for heat, blower will not go off
    I have a Trane unit and the ignitor does not produce a flame. The unit's blower runs and keeps the house at 62 degrees, 29 degrees outside. I have had this same problem once before and I was told that all that was needed was to clean some part in the furnace. Do not remember what that part was. I changed out the filter just to make sure that the filter was not the problem, with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Your description is a little unclear. Try this: With thermostat set to heat and above room temperature, turn power supply to furnace off, then back on. Observe operation for the next couple of minutes. Does the ignitor ever glow, and/or do you see flame at any time? Which blower runs constantly, the draft inducer or the indoor circulator? Do you notice any blinking lights on any of the furnace controls? The part you mentioned, that you previously cleaned - does the term "flame sensor" sound familiar? Look for a ceramic-insulated steel rod with a single wire connection, located on the burner assembly. Take it out and clean with fine sandpaper or steel wool.
    mower_man Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Mar 1, 2009, 08:41 AM

Try cleaning the flame sensor.
    Hvac1000,we need that pic!

Mower_Man

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace doesn't ignite, but blower fan always on. [ 25 Answers ]

I'm new here, so please bear with me. I have BDP 394GAW000050 furnace (no AC) that was installed when the condo was built in 1987. Last week, we turn the thermostat on to try to get some heat. About 5 min goes by and we don't feel any heat, but we smell something like paper burning. We shut...

Furnace Blower runs, does not ignite [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Trane furnace, model #BLU108F936B1. When the thermostat signals that it is time to provide heat, the bower comes on but the gas does not ignite. I am able at that time to light it with a match, and can hear the clicking sound accompanied by a weak spark. The furnace seems to work fine...

York Diamond 80 Ignitor works abd blower runs but does not heat up house [ 3 Answers ]

Our basement unit York Diamond 80 runs and run with the ignitor working and the blower running but does not heat up the first floor. The unit in the attic heats the first floor fine. The exhaust vent seems to be extremely hot. Is it possible the motor that exhausts the cabon monoxide from the gas...

Furnace Ignitor and Flame Sensor for Trane [ 8 Answers ]

An HVAC service provider says I need a new ignitor and flame sensor at $153 and $107 respectively. Is there a cheaper way? Also, he says that my 13 year old furnace has only another year, maybe. Does this sound right? I am a widow and I am wondering if he is trying to scam me.

Blower on and ignitor is glowing, but no gas heat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a residential Carrier model. When heat is turned on, the blower comes on and the ignitor begins to glow, but the gas heat never fires. The gas valve is definitely turned on, and our hot water heater and oven work fine with gas heat. After the ignitor glows, I can hear a hissing sound for...

View more questions Search