Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bdsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 11:18 AM
    How can my husband adopt?
    I live in Mississippi and I have a 6 year old son. His dad and I slplit when he was 2. he has done nothing for him since we split. He is a dead beat dad. He has not paid a dime on child support and is almost 4 years behind. He is in and out of jail. I have been married to my husband now for almost three years. My husband would like to adopt my son, but I know his bio father would not sign over his rights. Is there a way that my husband can adopt him without him signing over his rights?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 19, 2009, 01:41 PM

Nope.

He MUST either sign over his rights, or have them terminated by the state.

You will need a lawyer.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Feb 19, 2009, 06:13 PM

How do you know he won't sign off? Have you asked? Sometimes when they learn they are no longer liable for child support, and that back child support can be cleared, they sign the paper. Get a family lawyer.

If you know his address or phone number to even ask him, your child support office better know it too. The more they turn up the heat to collect, the more likely he is to sign off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. The...

USA Husband wants to adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

I am engaged to be married as soon as I get my Visa for the USA. My husband to be is American and like I said we will be married there.. He wants to adopt my 10 year old son so we can all be a proper family. My question is can he do this as soon as we are married, or will we have to wait until...

Ex husband was new husband to adopt his children [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently married with a child. However I was married once before and have two children with that marriage. The marriage ended due to her extra martial affairs, the children were very young, four and five. They are now 11 and 12. I pay child support and provide insurance for the children....

My husband want to adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

My husband want to adopt my son, but I don't know if he will sign his right over. My son bio father is way behind on child support, he hasn't paid in the past 6 month either and he hasn't seen my son in almost 3 years. I don't know where he is or how to get a hold of him, I heard he was in jail for...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

How does my husband adopt my son if my sons biological father is not on the birth certificate and is prison for cohersion.

View more questions Search