Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starchy Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 05:39 PM
    External hard drive sharing
    I have a 500 GB external HD that I have partitioned into 4 partitions. Running it on a Dell desktop with a USB cable on XP Home. I use this drive on my 3 machine network at home, mainly for backup and music/photo storage. Before I can access this drive over the network, I have to reset the "sharing" on each partition or it can't be seen on the network. Is there something I can do to allow all partitions to be set to be shared, and only do this once? Typically, I "Safely Remove Hardware" on this drive before turning off the computer at night. Not sure if this is important or not, but thought I would mention it.
    Thanks for any insight and advice
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starchy View Post
    Is there something I can do to allow all partitions to be set to be shared, and only do this once?
    Try not "Safely removing hardware" and leaving it connected.

Another option would be to switch to a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device (e.g. Buffalo Technology - Network Storage, an old computer with FreeNAS, etc.) which wouldn't require your current machine to always be on for the other computers to have availability.

Disclaimer: The following has not been personally tested, may work, may not.
    To use your existing methodology, a batch file(s) with a series of "net share MyShare=Drive:\FolderToShare" commands might automate the process of resharing. The batch file(s) might even be able to be placed in the root of the drive(s) and an autorun.inf file(s) created to execute it automatically when drive is connected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have a simpletech external hard drive, windows 98se, connected to a usb port. The "safely remove hardware" taskbar icon is not showing up any longer. I am afraid to switch of the hard drive.

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a western digital 500 gb external hard drive with only one usb port and no firewire. I have two other external hard drives with firewire and usb ports. I need to transfer data from the two old external hard drives to the new western digital external hard drive. Could there be any...

I am running a HP A1657C PC,I would like to purchase a external hard drive about 160 gig can you advice which one would be right for me. I want to back up c drive and at present only using about 30 gig but want room to expand. Thanks for reading this and any info you can offer Alan

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Freecom External Classic Hard Drive, 153 GB Available. Attempted to “Microsoft Backup” my Laptop (approx 40GB of data) to External Hard Drive. After about 10 minutes of operating I got the following Message – “You have either run out space or the backup file (.BKF) is too large for...

View more questions Search