Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wildbillba Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 08:51 AM
    Hot water lines under slab quickly cool the water.
    I'm looking for a good fix for a hot water problem in a 30 year old 20' x 40' condo that is on a slab. The hot water heater is on one end of the unit and the copper pipe runs 40' under the slab to the other end where there is a shower/bathroom. It loops from there back to a second bathroom and on to the kitchen. The water heater works fine and is set at 135F. It takes 2 minutes running full flow to get any hot water from the kitchen sink. It's about 1 minute to the bathrooms from the tub. It's more than 2 minutes from the bathroom faucet. I'm suspecting that the pipe is not insulated under the slab. I think this because after about 20 minutes, we're back to a full 2 minutes to get hot water again. Because the copper lines are cooled so quickly, I fear that a recirculation pump would cost a bunch to keep running. That would just dump heat into the soil. My next thought would be to run new hot water lines through the attic and cap off the hot water under the slab. It's fairly accessible in the attic. I could put in a header run three 3/8" Pex lines to the bathroom, bathroom and kitchen, and insulate them. This is in North Carolina so freeze is not an issue. Is this a good path to take? Any other recommendations?

Thx.. .
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 03:51 PM

You might want to explore this item or similar systems. Advanced Conservation Technologies: D'MAND Hot Water Systems Not that hard to install, easier than what you are planning. There are other systems that do not require power and simply push the first 5-10 gallons of cool water backwards down the cold supply, thus pulling the hot water faster.
    wildbillba Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 05:33 PM
    That unit looks like this one Faster Hot Water For Tank Type and Tankless Water heaters. The Chili-Pepper is about half the cost. I wonder which one is more heavy duty. Sure would be less work.

Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softener resin clogging water supply lines [ 1 Answers ]

We have a water softener that has a resin filter that has broken numerous times due to surges in water pressure. This time we didn't realize it had broken in time to bypass the softener and avoid getting resin in the lines again. We've already flushed the resin out of the 2 toilets and 2 sinks...

Preventing freezing water lines in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a slab home with in floor radiant heat. Slow heat up times coupled with fast heat loss & high heating bills make me wonder if the slab was properly insulated. I am considering relying more upon the backup forced air unit to cut costs. My concern is that all of my plumbing runs...

Yellow water from cold & hot water lines on city service [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house that is ~30 years old. It has copper pipes. When I first noticed yellow water I flushed my hot water tank, but the water problems persists and it occurs even when I'm running cold water. There is some sediment in the water that looks like the iron content in well water,...

Preventing freezing water lines in slab [ 2 Answers ]

I recently purchased a slab home with in floor radiant heat. Slow heat up times coupled with fast heat loss & high heating bills make me wonder if the slab was properly insulated. I am considering relying more upon the backup forced air unit to heat my home while cut costs. My concern is that all...

Running new water lines in slab construction [ 5 Answers ]

If you want to replace the water lines in a slab, one story house, can you just go up into the attic and come down to each fixture? When going from an existing copper line to cpvc, can you use one of those male adapters like you would use on a shower body or water heater? Also, water heater...

View more questions Search