Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aidanbmom21 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 02:16 PM
    Ho do I get my little guy to give up his bottle at night
    My 20 month old will not go to bed without a bottle and he wakes frquently to get a sip from his bottle.I literally mean a sip he sucks for like 2 seconds then puts it down. I tried to take it away but he screamed for 1 hour straight so I got it and he took his little sip which isn't even a ounce then he went to sleep. He can drink out of a cup or a straw but for some reason he won't give up the bottle for bed time. He won't even take a binky.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 02:58 PM

You are going to have to exercise tough love mom. I hope there is only water in the bottle and not juice, bad for gums, all that sugar. Good luck with this cause its hard to say no isn't it. I hope you don't have the problem of sleeping arrangements soon, too, that can be a deal breaker :(
    phil828 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2009, 03:12 PM

Tickle is right on!! Just water!! Milk,juice etc rot growing gums and baby teeth. I know from experience. Fill him/her up before bed. Then good luck no more during night. Its going to be tough for a few nights. Maybe a pacifier and deal with that down the road. Best of luck!!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 14, 2009, 03:14 PM

I was going to suggest a pacifier too, phil828, but don't they say that malforms the bone structure in the mouth that is already forming for their teeth. I know we used to do that but there are so many reasons we can't now ! And they all sound really scary.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2009, 03:16 PM

As the other answer said make sure you are only giving him water.

During the day encourage him when he uses his sippy cup telling him what a big boy he is.Point out to him when you can that a bottle is for babies.Don't lay a guilt trip on him but let him know throughout the day that he is a big boy,stress that by pointing out the bottle thing.

Create a night time routine and encourage him to take a best friend to bed.Maybe a new stuffed animal that he can pick out.

During the bedtime routine encourage his big boy habits.Let him choose his own pjs,let him help with teeth brushing.

There must be a type of cup that he could have in the bed that will not spill but take care of his need for a drink.He is possibly not truly thirsty but needs the comfort to go back to sleep

Encourage him to turn to his new friend for comfort.His big boy friend.

Nothing is going to change overnight and 3am is not the time to try to change ingrained behavior.

When children are learning a new task they often have interrupted sleep cycles as the brain is so anxious to keep learning.They may even practice their new skill in a half sleep state.If he is in this mode he may be waking up more and I would try to encourage him to replace his comfort bottle with the new friend.

Just remember some things are not worth sweating about.Hes not going to have it in kindergarten so I say try to encourage but if you push too much he may just rely on the comfort more.
    jalnia Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2009, 08:38 PM

As a mother of six, it is time to put the bottle away. 20 months is way too old to be still needing a bottle. You did not say what was in the bottle. If it is not water then I would suggest filling the bottle with water for the first couple of nights. Maybe your child will decide on his own it is not necessary. If not I would remove the bottle completely, and like the first response, practice some tough love. Maybe you could replace the bottle with a new stuffed animal or soft blanket. If the replacement works you may just be creating a new problem. But hey it is much better to have a two year old carrying around a prized possession than to be sucking a bottle and damaging their emotional and dental health.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2009, 08:52 PM

This is from January 2009 and the person who asked the question has not been back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't want to give my boyfriend an std but he wants me to give him oral [ 8 Answers ]

I think I might have caught something from another guy that I had sex with even though we used protection and he said that he had been tested negative and my question is that is I do have something can I give it to my boyfriend from giving him head. I don't have soars in my mouth or anything but I...

Off the bottle [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 13 month old daughter who is still on the bottle. She is a little over weight for her age and height. And I was ordered by her doctor to get her off the bottle by the time she is 15 months. I've tried countless times to get her off, but it just seems impossible! I know I have a few more...

How to give up you rites as a dad due to a one night stand ? [ 5 Answers ]

We are in Florida. My brother in law slept with a girl 1yr ago and hasn't seen her sense except out in bars and she is 20 and whell she has 1 kid by another guy & that don't pay her suport.. but now she I guess got pregnant.. from some one a yr latter now today I got a letter in the mail stating...

How do you give up you rites due to a one night stand? [ 3 Answers ]

We are in Florida. 1st I can start by saying my brother dated this girl till.. he caught her w someone else.. Then 2nd my brother inlaw braught home the same girl.. (un knowing) then one night he slept with her that was 1 yr ago. To make matters worse I aloud her around the house cause we...

View more questions Search