Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbyc123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Foreclosing and walking away
    What would I owe if I were to walk away from my home. It is a 380,000 mortgage and the house is probably worth 330,000 right now. Would I be responsible for the loan or how does that work?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 08:40 AM

If you still owe say $300, and they sell it for $220, then you would owe the difference of what you owed and what they sold it for.
    deedgrabber Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Jan 3, 2009, 08:41 AM

I believe that if the bank bid the full $380,000 at the sale, which is typical, you would not be liable for any deficiency. Though it would show on your credit as a foreclosure of course.

If the bank offers it for less at the sale and someone buys it for less, you could have a deficiency judgment for the difference.

Some states protect you from that if it's your homestead though, I believe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosing in Michigan on purpose [ 1 Answers ]

Home was purchased 10 years ago in Michigan, today it is worth a lot less then I paid for it then. Although I am not behind on payments, I need to move for family reasons... I know I cannot sell it for what I owe, I cannot rent it for the payment and I have almost enough cash to buy a...

Leasing a home and the owners are foreclosing on it. What do I do? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, We are currently leasing a home with a contract expiring on 12/31/08. We have over $4000 worth of deposits on the home also. A few weeks ago the owners called us and informed us that they are foreclosing on the home. We have put in an offer to buy the home and are waiting for the lender...

My Landlord is foreclosing his condo. Do I still have to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord just notified us that he had stopped making mortgage payments on his house a couple of months ago and that he is giving it to the bank. He said we are safe to stay for two more months and after that bank might kick us out. As I understood he no longer takes any responsibility for the...

Renters rights in a foreclosing home. [ 2 Answers ]

The home that I am renting is being foreclosed on. I only know this because the landlord told us it was going to happen. Is there a law that in the winter months tenants can not be kicked out of their home? Are we as renters obligated to continue to pay our rent?

View more questions Search