Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrcuddlesworth Posts: 96, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2008, 11:44 PM
    Why won't my mother let me buy gifts for my girlfriend
    OK I am 13 years of age I am dating my dream girl (pretty,funny,nice,smart and doesn't judge me by what I look like) personaly I feel I'm not good-looking but lets get back to the question I've been dating for a week now and I just ran into money and I've have been toalking to my mother and I told her I wanted to take her to the movies and surprise her with a gift and as soon as my mom heard the gift she looked angry and she almost forbid me from seeing her and I was so confused can someone help me
    Thanks to anyone that try's :confused: :)
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2008, 11:45 PM
    1. A week isn't long enough to buy a gift.

2. your mother doesn't want you to spend money on a girl... for no reason. You should save it so you can buy yourself (or your mother) something nice.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 11:10 AM
    What gift?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Why did your mom get upset over the gift? Did it cost too much to suit her (which I can understand) or where you wanting to buy her a ring or other piece of jewelry or something too personal?
    Ask your mother what she feels is appropriate and what she feels isn't appropriate for your age as far as dating. That way you look like you are taking her advice into consideration and trying to be responsible. Ask her if you would be allowed to invite her over for dinner and to watch a DVD. If she is okay with that maybe you could even help cook the meal.
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Aug 9, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Ahem... 13 years old, dating one week... want to buy gifts?

That is hilarious... you're exaggerating one-week relationship.

I didn't purchase gifts for my ex until it was... 3 months maybe?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 9, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Yes, 13, dating for one week and a dream girl and buying a gift. OK, I too have to laugh I know at 13 this seems to seroius and a love of a life, but your mom knows that it will be someone else next week or next month. Also knows that she does not want a 13 year old too serious most likely also

Aug 9, 2008, 03:20 PM
    I've known emma for years and together liked each other I just ran into some birthday money I was planning to buy her a $40 iPod and then take her to the movies (which my mom will let me)
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

Aug 9, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Your mom probably just wants you to keep this in perspective. You've known the girl for some time but you are 13 and have only been "dating" for a week. Buying a gift would be a little too soon for most people, even adults :)
    It's a nice thought but save it for later!

Just stick with the movie. She'll appreciate that, save the iPod idea for an actual occasion (a birthday, holiday).

Aug 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Thanks everyone for the advice
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 03:41 PM
    iPod definitely more for a 'we have been together for a year now' type gift and still not very age appropriate money wise.
    flash84x Posts: 55, Reputation: 7

Aug 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
    The money was a birthday gift for YOU, not to spend on a girl that you have been dating for a week... I don't know but at 13 $40 was a good amount of money... keep it for yourself, go to the movies and I think that is plenty

Aug 11, 2008, 03:19 AM
    But I feel guilty because she has been in churchill for a week and is coming back on Wednesday and she said she was going to buy me something. And I don't want to seem like a mootch or something
    Rabbit91 Posts: 74, Reputation: -5
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrcuddlesworth
    OK i am 13 years of age i am dating my dream girl (pretty,funny,nice,smart and doesnt judge me by what i look like) personaly i feel im not good-looking but lets get back to the question i've been dating for a week now and i just ran into money and i've have been toalking to my mother and i told her i wanted to take her to the movies and surprise her with a gift and as soon as my mom heard the gift she looked angry and she almost forbid me from seeing her and i was so confused can someone help me
    thanks to anyone that try's :confused: :)
    I know right dude!

I went out with this total babe (she was so dreamy) when I was 8. After 2 hours I asked my mommy if I could buy her a house. My mommy broke the relationship up and I had to go to my room. :(
    Rabbit91 Posts: 74, Reputation: -5
    -

Aug 11, 2008, 05:14 AM
    But seriously dude.. your 13 / 1 week. Maybe your mah is thinking "waste of money if u guys break up" I mean a week is hardly gift worthy material. And on that note.. I will assume you are jobless. Money = gift = spend on yourself.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 05:15 AM
    but i feel guilty because she has been in churchill for a week and is coming back on wednesday and she said she was gonna buy me something. and i dont want to seem like a mootch or something
    You are not a mooch if somebody buys you something. A mooch is when you expect something that another does not owe you. You can tell her that you want to buy her something when you have a little money and can get to the mall. In the meantime maybe make her a cute thank you for being my friend card or something homemade.
    She said she is going to buy you something. That could be in the $5. price range --much different that the $50. + price range.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 06:16 AM
    but i feel guilty because she has been in churchill for a week and is coming back on wednesday and she said she was gonna buy me something. and i dont want to seem like a mootch or something
    Next time you go to churchill for a week, you can buy her something.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Personally I like the My boyfriend went to Churchill and all I got was the T shirt.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2008, 06:20 AM
    I don't blame your mom. You seem to want to grow up too quickly. At 13 you shouldn't really be dating one on one (hanging out in a group is OK). You definitely should be spending that much money on a gift. Gifts in that price range should be reserved for serious relationships. While I understand you may think it serious, at 13 you will probably go thorugh a dozen or so "serious" relationships before you become an adult.
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Plus, take it from a guy who spoils girls... ipods, cameras, you name it... I've bought it.

... keep your money. You tend to regret it.

Aug 16, 2008, 11:02 AM
    OK but something really weird just happened my mother woke me up at noon today and told me to give this to emma (my girlfriend) and it was an expensive perfume stuff that's like 100's I I was like??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

How can I evict my former girlfriend and mother of my son from my property? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home and have moved into it with my girlfriend and 10mo. Old son. The girlfriend is a chronic alcoholic and has psychologocal issues. She has recently started an argument with me and had me arrested for calling her a bad name. There is now a no contact order in place...

Am I his girlfriend, or his mother? [ 2 Answers ]

I can't take this anymore. It seems like I'm always the one that's stressing about my boyfriend's business. The latest happening is with one of his college classes. He got scheduled to work at a time when he has class because he "forgot about his class starting to he didn't request off work." ...

My girlfriend mother [ 1 Answers ]

Ok my girlfriend and me have been arguing for awhile. Mainly because she lied and broke a promise, but I'm willing to work it out with her. Well her mom started to yell at me and now a lot of things are messed up and I was wondering how to deal with her mother. Btw she thickheaded and she doesn't...

View more questions Search