Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mindyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 09:28 PM
    California Private Party Car Sale Laws
    I bought a car a couple days ago from a woman in Santa Barbara. She was advertising that it had low miles, brand new interior, etc. After picking up the car, on the way home we noticed that something was wrong with the transmission (we had not taken it on the freeway on our test drive, and the shaking could only be felt at high speeds). We then took it to our mechanic and after inspecting the car, we were told that the transmission was bad and had been bad for a while. The problem, according to our mechanic, does not happen over night, it takes a while. Then, on top of that, we find out the odometer doesn't work; and so the low mile vehicle we thought we were buying could have thousands of more miles on it. I never signed any kind of paper stating that we were buying the car "as is", although that was basically understood. Is there anything we can do?? I emailed the woman I purchased the car for asking her to pay for the repairs or we would sell the car back to her for what we bought it, and she said her attorney advised her that she was in the right and she refused to help at all. I understand that the transmission alone would be hard to take her to court for, but the odometer didn't even work! She flat out lied about the miles on it!

Help! What do I do?
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Aug 6, 2008, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mindyn
    I bought a car a couple days ago from a woman in Santa Barbara. She was advertising that it had low miles, brand new interior, etc. After picking up the car, on the way home we noticed that something was wrong with the transmission (we had not taken it on the freeway on our test drive, and the shaking could only be felt at high speeds). We then took it to our mechanic and after inspecting the car, we were told that the transmission was bad and had been bad for a while. The problem, according to our mechanic, does not happen over night, it takes a while. Then, on top of that, we find out the odometer doesn't work; and so the low mile vehicle we thought we were buying could have thousands of more miles on it. I never signed any kind of paper stating that we were buying the car "as is", although that was basically understood. Is there anything we can do??? I emailed the woman I purchased the car for asking her to pay for the repairs or we would sell the car back to her for what we bought it, and she said her attorney advised her that she was in the right and she refused to help at all. I understand that the transmission alone would be hard to take her to court for, but the odometer didnt even work! She flat out lied about the miles on it!

Help! What do I do?
    If I'm not mistaken, in court you have to prove that she was aware of the transmission and odometer problem before she sold it to you. I don't think you can win this one.

With private party car purchases I think the court would heavily rely on the "buyer beware" or "buyer due diligence".

Just my two cents worth (I am not a lawyer).

Peace.
    mindyn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Bummer. Thanks anyway!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get car title from a private party [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a car from a friend. Have had the car for over a year and it is paid off. The friend said he was working on getting the lost title but I never got it. He has since moved to another state and refuses to return my call. I now have a car that I have no title to cannot register or get...

I'm a private party selling car in California, Law? [ 4 Answers ]

:) I want to know if I can sell it as is or if I have to warrantee anything?? Does it depend on value of car or milage? What should I know before selling my car?

California private party used car sale law [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a 2001 Blazer in Gilroy California , test drove it,it was fine, and a week later picked it up and it over heated 5 minutes into my drive home.I checked the coolant levels and it was empty,filled the cooling system up again ,and made it home. The next day it overheated again.I feel...

Used Car Case - Private Party [ 6 Answers ]

I stay in California and I had bought the car just 2 months ago from a private party . The car needed some repairs ( Cold start problem ) and after I bought the car , the mechanic fixed the problem by placing some part in a tank overnight to clean it up and did some tuning on the car . Now I had...

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

View more questions Search