Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mgeneral Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 11:50 PM
    Spouse resident of different state
    Hi,
    I am on green card, while my spouse is on F1. I live in California, while my spouse lives in NY. For federal tax purposes,
    1. I have to use 1040 if filing jointly ? (Can I get benefit from tax treaties for my wife's income ?)
    2. For California, I can file 540 NR, married filing jointly, reporting my income as derived from California soures, and my wife's income as not derived from California.
    3. For NY, can I file married filing jointly, again as a non-resident, and using the non-resident form ?
    Thanks
    Joseph
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

Apr 13, 2006, 09:15 AM
    I am not sure you can file jointly for the federal return as you have to file as resident, but she should file as NR. ( maybe you can use the first year choice, but I have doubts ).

( Besides, I just wonder how she managed to get a F1 visa knowing she was married to a LPR : that is in disagreemnt with the ' no intent to immigrate ' :confused: ) .

Anyway, I think she can only claim tax treaty benefits if she files as NR, but check with the tax treaty.
    Usually, the treaty is nullified when the person becomes a resident. However, some treaties say that it is till okay if the person has to file as R because of the 5-year rule ( for F1 students ).

To me, you should file 'married filing separately' : you as R, and her as NR.

For the state taxes, see the state's guidelines.
    Which state does she consider her permanent place of abode ? I would say it is CA as you live there.
    Then, I would do what you said for CA.
    Now, for NY : did you live in NY ? So, I would say she should file married separately ( as a NR ), but you wouldn't need to declare your income.

I am not familiar with those states though, so read the instructions to make sure.

Apr 13, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Hi,
    We married after she was an F1 student for a few years, and last year she lived in NY as a full year resident, while I was a full year CA resident.

For federal, don't I have the choice to file as a resident ? It is just that I will lose tax benefits ? If I file married filing separately, our taxes are much higher than married filing jointly.

For NY and CA, which form should I use ? Non-resident forms for both states ?

Thanks
    Joseph
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 09:51 AM
    YOU must file as a resident alien. Your choice involves your wife. She can file as a NR (Form 1040NR), or she can choose to be treated as a resident alien and file jointly with you. If she files jointly, then, In my opinion, she forfeits all treaty exemptions.

For NY, you should file Form IT-203 and exclude the CA-based income.

I do not have my references with me, so I cannot say which CA forms to use.

Apr 14, 2006, 03:58 PM
    Thank you, Atlanta Tax Expert. I had a couple of follow up questions.
    1. Since she files jointly with me as a resident for Federal tax, does that not make my wife also a resident of NY (even though she is an international student, which is normally considered non-resident) , and would form IT-201 be the form to file ?
    2. Does my wife have to start paying social security tax, because is considered resident in 1040 (due to married filing jointly ?)

Thanks
    Joseph
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 10:35 PM
    Joseph:

1) If she files jointly with you, then she would use the Form IT-203 because you are a part-year/non-resident of NY. Same applies for CA; you would file a joint part-year/non-resident return for CA because SHE is a non-resident of California.

2) Not necessarily. Her visa status drives the collection of Social Security and Medicare taxes. However, if she had money improperly withheld while she is on F-1 visa status, her filing as a resident alien will affect any attempt to claim a refund of those taxes.

Apr 15, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,
    Thank you very much for your concise and to the point reply. Your replies really helped clarify.
    Thanks
    Kamal
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouse Resident Status [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a Mexican Citizen currently on OPT, changing status to H1B in October. A while ago you advised me to file as a married resident, so I could be able to take the standard decuction, and my child deduction. I have a couple of questions: 1) I know I can file as resident, since I'll be working...

Claiming Non-resident spouse & child as dependents [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My wife came to US (H4 visa) for the first time in 2006 & was in the US for 3 months. She left for India and we had a baby last month. She will be back In the US along with the child only in Feb 2007. 1) Can I file as "married filing jointly" and apply for ITIN for my wife when I...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search