Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2011, 08:41 AM
    4 month old puppy hasn't lost any baby teeth
    Hunter hasn't lost any of his baby teeth and he is 4 months old. I have been checking his mouth for the last month to see if he is losing any, but there all still the same. Should I make a vet appointment? Or just wait it out for a little while?

We give him hard bones and hard toys to play with which we thought might help him lose them (compared to stuffies) but there still there and none are even lose.

Im starting to think he is younger than what I was told (which would kind of explain his aggression, which by the way has diminished greatly), and it would make sense since they lied to me about his breed...

tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 1, 2011, 08:51 AM

Think you are jumping the gun a little bit and worrying too much, normally puppies start losing their baby teeth at four months, so he is not behind schedule in that regard.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2011, 09:02 AM

Okay thank you,
    Everyone who I've talked to has said he should start losing them at three months, so I was a little concerened on why he hasn't lost any.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Hasn't your Vet been able to tell you a fairly accurate age for him?
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2011, 08:26 AM
    Nope, when I took him in the vet asked how old he was (Which I said 10 weeks since that was how old I though he was), and she never questioned it. But now he hasn't lost his puppy teeth, there is no sign of his teste's (Which I've talked to someone about and they should start to show now as well)... Maybe I'm just being concerned... On a side note to anyone who has been following his story... I really think he was abused, and the people I got him from lied about a lot (For instance, he is no way boxer rotti), because now that he has settled in (almost 2 months later) he is starting to warm up to people and will cuddle, but he hates new people even though he has been introduced to lots of people since I got him. He also shows fear if you go to lift your hand to pet him, he cowars, before he'd go to bite, so I'm thinking his aggression is a mix of abuse and being taken away from his mom to soon, but with lots of love and attention he is starting to understand that Im not going to hurt him, and he only cowars if I am standing, so I get down on the floor to play with him and he is okay with that, its going to take a lot of time but I see him being one of the best dogs I've had, he is super smart!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2011, 06:40 PM

I would be more worried about the lack of testes than the lack of adult teeth.

Crypotorchidism and monorchidism is fairly common in some lines and he will need to be neutered early to remove the retained testes.
    Testes that remain inside the dogs body and do not drop are more likely to develop cancer.

The teeth are normal, he may well be a bit younger than you though, or just late at losing them.
    Some dogs do retain baby teeth and need them pulled but I don't think you have to worry about that just yet.
    Vet swill not pull baby teeth without signs of adult teeth erupting.

My Chinese Crested is now 14 months old and still has 2 baby canine teeth. There is no chance of adult teeth coming through now, I just have to make sure I keep them nice and clean so they do not rot and they will stay in place for years.
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2011, 12:29 PM

Okay, when should I start to worry about the testes and make an appointment with the vet? He went for his first shots and boosters.. but with his little emergency eating a thorn bush I don't really have the money to waste, so I'd rather bring him in when he needs it (instead of every time I worry)...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2011, 05:33 PM

Ok reading back my post sounded more serious than I intended!

No, you won't need to go to the vet yet. Testes should be down by 6 months so you have a couple on months up your sleeve before you have to worry about having them checked.
    They still could drop in the next few months it is just more and more unlikley as more time passes.

Just keep an eye on his teeth.
    If you notice an adult tooth erupting in front or behind a baby tooth and not pushing the baby tooth out, you can try just wobbling the baby tooth a few times a day with your thumb.
    If that doesn't work then it will need to be pulled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had lost a baby in may and I had a period after that.I missed my period this month [ 1 Answers ]

I had lost a baby in may and I had a period after that. My period for June is missed.I am having the symptoms of being pregnant.I took a test and it came back negative.I was having trouble with my hcg level still rising from the miscarriage. Am I pregnant.

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

View more questions Search