Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john-rock Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Aug 19, 2005, 02:33 AM
    Unknown sound
    From time to time and very irregularly, I hear a strange sound coming from the boxes of my computer. I work wit windows xp.
    This sound is very ennoying, lasts one or two seconds and is definitely not a windows-sound.
    For it is so irregularly, it is no point to find it out from where it comes by eliminating the running processes.
    On the other way, I want to get rid of this sound. My question is : is there a way to find out ? Is there a program wich registers wich files (sound files) at a given moment are opened ?
    Thanks in advance
    JP
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2005, 02:42 AM
    I don't think it's a software issue.

The two things that I've experienced that make a sound are
    1. The fan - either going bad or rubbing a cable or wire, or
    2. A hard drive going bad.

I would open the box and look and listen close when you hear the sound - to see if you can identify where it's coming from.

If it is either of these two, it's a problem you want to remedy as near to immediately as possible.

Aug 19, 2005, 05:01 AM
    Sound
    Dear Rickj
    Maybe I expressed myself not clear enough, but it is definitely a sound file, not a mechanical produced sound.
    JP
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2005, 05:06 AM
    It could be some sound that has been associated with a system event, like a window opening or closing. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices, select the Sounds tab and loo at the items that have little speaker icons and preview the sounds. If you find the offending one then don't associate a sound to the item.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Yes, john-rick, I misunderstood. Sorry 'bout that.

NeedKarma's reply is right-on.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2005, 05:40 AM
    If's Karma's advice doesn't work, can you clarify something for me

Quote Originally Posted by john-rock
    I hear a strange sound coming from the boxes of my computer.
    The way you say this makes it sound like the noise is coming from your PC unit and not some speakers. Is the sound coming from speakers (including those that could be part of your PC case) or from inside the PC case itself? There will be a system speaker inside your PC case and helping determine which speaker the sound is coming from will help a lot.

Aug 20, 2005, 01:14 AM
    Strange sound
    Let me clarify this : the sound I hear, does not come from the computer itself, nor from the speaker inside the computer, but is produced by the speakers, as they do their work : produce sound.
    Therefore, it is the product of a .wav or .mp3 or any other sound file. The only thing is : I cannot stop this sound ! You can compare it with sounds produced by a virus-scanner when it finds a virus. But then, you KNOW it. I don't. In other words : my computer does things I don't want to. Very embarrassing!
    Viksyn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 04:46 PM
    Finding unknown sounds on Win XP
    Don't know if you are still looking for a fix to the unknown sound, but here's some help...

I just inherited my husband's windows XP machine & it had an unknown sound, too... when I opened up some web pages, what sounded like a loud water drop would happen, sometimes just once & sometimes it would happen a few times in a row. Very annoying! I couldn't find the offending .wav file by going to start>control panel>sounds>sounds & audio devices> & then checking every sound file there. So here's what I did...

Start>search>all files & folders>
    In the box "All or part of the file name", type .wav
    Make sure you are going to be searching your "C" drive

At the bottom of this menu, click on "MORE ADVANCED OPTIONS"
    Make sure that "Search system folders", "Search hidden files & folders",
    And "Search subfolders" are all CHECKED.

When I did this, my system came up with over 1100 files. Determined to get rid of this sound, I started at the top of the list & listened to each one. Luckily, I only had to hear about 100 of them before I found my offender. As soon as I found it, I deleted it & now I don't hear it anymore!

If the sound on your machine isn't a .wav file, you'll have to repeat this search using a different file extension, like .mp3 or whatever. Just make sure you are telling the system to search hidden files/folders... that's where mine was found. Hope that helps..

Viksyn
    crueldog Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Same problem here, I keep hearing a loud, 1 sec cound, unknwon from my speakers. Its like an "amusement" or "virus " sound, really annopying, sometimes it happens twice in a row, I na min, sometimes in an hour. I have searched all .wav files, couldn't find it.. Do you know what was the name of your file? Or can anyone try to help me? I have a hearing problem, and that sound hurts my ears everyday.. Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sound, asus mother board built in sound card [ 16 Answers ]

My comp plays no sounds. All drivers are installed and I have re installed them 2. Its well annoyin. Any help with this would be great. Thanks

NO SOUND after sound card install [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I'm new on here I have a HP tower.. just installed a beefed up sound card in it and it doesn't work.. made sure all connection are good.. and installed the program.. now it won't work at all.. please help me someone?

Unknown [ 3 Answers ]

:( :confused: See I'm with my boyfriend now and I do not trust him but I do not trust myself at that.. I got some problems that I do not know how to deal with nor fix them.. It's driving me crazy... I need to get rid of these problems so that I don't start anymore arguments with my boyfriend and...

View more questions Search