Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottLwood Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Painting over vinyl coated drywall?
    I live in a double wide home that has a vinyl layer (at least I think its vinyl) over the drywall, at every seem there is a strip covering the nails and joints. I would like to take all of the strips down, mud them like regular drywall and paint. My first question is the vinyl has a texture, will the mud joints show up really bad? What kind of paint should I use? Any help will be appreciated.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
    My experience in the paint industry is out of date. In the past, it was tough to find a paint that would stick to vinyl. If available, likely you will find it at a specialty paint store, not Lowe's.

Using a long nap roller will both help work paint down into texture of the vinyl and leave a uniform texture that may hide the difference between the vinyl and mud.
    ranger1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 04:20 PM
    I have done my mobil home with vinyl mud got it at home depot in a bag and mixxed it, the vinyl in sticks very well to the vinyl on the sheet rock, and pull them stupid strips off and use fiber glass dry wall tape and sand your joints down
    After they dry, then I spray textured the walls with the same material ,in a stucco look, sense we like the southwest look.
    Been on the walls for 5 years and has not fell off, and you can't hardly get it off... hopr this helps
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 06:58 PM

Ranger, this thread is 2 1/2 years old, likely the job is done
    arby808 Posts: 110, Reputation: 4

Jan 24, 2010, 01:24 PM
    Maybe not

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drywall [ 6 Answers ]

My home is about 25 years old. Recently I've noticed that the drywall screws seem to be coming out. There's small bumps in the drywall where the screws are. In one room, the opposite is happening. Instead of bumps, I have small depressions around the screws. Is this situation serious and what...

Epoxy Coated Bathroom Floors [ 2 Answers ]

I've seen several bathroom floors with what looks like an epoxy coating with a grit (probably sand) added in commercial applications (bathrooms). Is such a coating suitable for a shower floor? I am doing a 5' X 5' euro-style shower with a 2 foot wide maze going out. No pre-fab shower pan will...

Drug-coated Stents pose problem! [ 5 Answers ]

If anyone has stents that were drug-coated please read. I for one do has them, Have made appointment with doctor to discuss options on these mini time bombs. Is there is legal recourse since this will happen one day? http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15816251/

Vinyl flooring [ 2 Answers ]

Is it OK to install vinyl flooring directly on top of a cement slab.

View more questions Search