Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jul 18, 2007, 08:13 PM
    2002 Chevy Malibu; Turn Signals work intermittenly
    My wife has a 2002 Chevy Malibu. Recently, when she puts on her turn signals, they sometimes stop flashing. As bad as this sounds, when she hits the dash above the instrument cluster, they start working again. My question is, what is the name of the part that could be causing this? I have no problem disconnecting the battery and pulling the dash apart to replace it, I just have no idea what to reference as the part when I buy it. Thanks for your help.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2007, 08:20 PM
    . Check/replace the turn signal/hazard relay, likely located in the under-dash fuse/relay box. Remove the turn signal relay from the under-dash fuse/relay box. Inspect relay holder terminals to be sure they are all making good contact. If the terminals are bent, loose, or corroded, repair and recheck the system.

. Check/replace the combination light switch.
    mikeapple01 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2007, 09:04 PM
    The part you are referring to is called the turn signal relay, Now with that said, With all the new technology being put into new cars, If you look under and behind the dash you will see a lot of relays! (They are small black cubes about 1 1/2 inch square) If you are set on doing this yourself I would recommend buying a Haynes manual for that vehicle. Auto Zone and Advance Auto sells these manuals.
    It has a step by step troubleshooting guide that will help you find and diagnose the problem. Now if you want the skinny on finding the problem, Turn on the turn signal and if it doesn't work like you said, Instead of hitting the dash, wiggle the turn signal arm and see if they start working, If so, then your turn signal switch (which is part of the arm in the steering column) is going bad. If not, get the turn signal to come on and follow the clicking of the relay by listening and feeling with your hands until you find it. Then wiggle the relay and see if the signal stops working. If so, the blade connectors on the relay could be going bad or the connection on the inside of the relay could be going bad. Either way, replace the relay. If not, Then check the turn signal lights in the instrument panel. (Be very careful!! The instrument panel is a very fragile circuit board! Try to keep from bending or hitting the board!) The turn signal lights are in a closed loop configuration, If any of the lights go out (inside or outside of the vehicle) it opens the circuit and the turn signals will not work. See if the small lights in the instrument panel for the turn signal indicators are loose. If so, I would replace them. I hope this helps or at least gets you going in the right direction
    gmhasbugs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2009, 01:42 AM
    There is a free repair available for this problem as detailed here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla/2009-04-22_031710_hazard_flasher_policy.pdf

#04098A: Special Policy Adjustment-Turn
    Signal/Hazard Warning Flashers - (Jan 11, 2006)
    This bulletin is being revised to include 2001-2002 Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Alero,
    And Pontiac Grand Am vehicles. Due to part availability, it is anticipated that customers
    Will not be notified until late April 2006. In the meantime, should a customer bring in a
    2001-2002 Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Alero, or Pontiac Grand Am vehicle because the
    Turn signal/hazard warning flashers are inoperative, repair the vehicle as described in
    This bulletin and submit the claim using the labor code found in this bulletin.

Condition
    Some customers of 1999-2002 Chevrolet Malibu, Oldsmobile Alero, Pontiac Grand Am, and 1999
    Oldsmobile Cutlass may have turn signal/hazard flashers that become inoperative.

Special Policy Adjustment
    This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles
    (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service,
    Regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
    For 1999-2000 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders
    On or after December 23, 2004 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the
    Labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to December 23,
    2004 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
    For 2001-2002 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders
    On or after January 11, 2006 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the
    Labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to January 11,
    2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2003 Honda Accord turn signals/power locks [ 8 Answers ]

Is there a common connection (fuse or relay or something) between the power door locks and the turn signals? The car sat for one week and the remote key would not open the power door locks (or open trunk) and while driving I noticed that both turn signals did not work or make a clicking sound. ...

98 Chevy malibu trouble starting [ 3 Answers ]

98 Chevy Malibu has trouble starting @ times. Everything comes on, but takes several tries before will start. Any ideas? :confused:

Intermittent turn signals [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee the turn signals worked when they felt like it.I replaced the flasher and for two weeks no problem.Now The signals work randomly.Any ideas.Thanks

My turn signals aren't working.bulbs or fuse? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 saturn sl2 sedan and the turn signals have been acting up for a while... they come on for a while and then stop blinking, both on the dash and on the lights themselves... now they have stopped altogether. Would this be bad bulbs or a bad fuse? All the signals stopped left, right,...

Anti Lock Brakes Dash Warning Light, 2001 Chevy Malibu. [ 1 Answers ]

Need help with Anti Lock Brakes, ABS - 2001 Chevy Malibu... A dash warning light appeared about 3 days ago that something might be wrong with my anti lock brakes, I immediately pulled over, read about the warning in my own manual, it said turn the veh off, then restart it and if the light...

View more questions Search