Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lana123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2007, 05:20 AM
    amide bond (peptide bond)
    hello ever1

I don't know much about chemistry, so hlp me with this

is amide bond (peptide bond), balanced chemical equation?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Is this useful?

Evil dead Posts: 116, Reputation: -5

Mar 14, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Further to capuchins answer, this is a biological reaction. Biological reactions are made to sustain life, so every one is unique to the fact that are a condensation reaction (expelling water). As you can see in the above answer, the bottom left hydroxide molecule bonds with the lone hydrogen on the right to form water, which allows the 2 separate sections of each Amino Acid to bond together.

The R is a variable and can contain numerous amounts of materials, namely long chain fatty acids and in rare occurrences phosoplipids.

Enough of these reactions will form a peptide bond and eventually a protein... - I seem to have forgotten what a nucleotide base is made of...
    Liasdaughter Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Nov 24, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Hi,

Peptide bonds are also called amide bonds.

Protein is made up from amino acids. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, but not individually.

Amino acids join together to form groups, called Peptides, which, again, join together to form Polypeptides, and finalllly 2 or more polypeptide chains wiill form the protein.

If 2 amino acid molecules join (Dehydration/condensation Synthesis), water is released and a new molecule is formed. Since there are two amino acids joined, it will be called Dipeptide. If 3 amino acids join, that will be called a Tripeptide.

The bonds between those joining amino acid molecules, are the peptide bonds, or, alternatively, the amide bond.

Hope very much, it helps a little. All the best to you, too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bond For Deed [ 4 Answers ]

Need Help! I have a offer to purchase some property with some equity in it. Owner sold property by using Bond For Deed with the stipulation that buyer will get their own financing in one year(in contract), its been three years and buyer is still not able to get financing, seller in turn wants out...

James Bond [ 3 Answers ]

Long before he debuted on screen as 007 in 1973's Live and Let Die, Roger Moore played James Bond in an appearance on this popular British TV comedy show. Name it.

James bond [ 4 Answers ]

What are the various james bond actors.

View more questions Search