Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    balajisv Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2016, 09:25 PM
    400A panel vs 2 200A panel for 400A service
    Hi,

We are doing a home remodel and replacing an existing 100A service with a 400A service. We need a little over 300A (tankless electric water heater requiring 150A and the rest of the home all electric HVAC + appliances etc. SFD ~2200 sq. ft.) - the POCO has okayed our project. My main question is: should we be using one 400A panel or can we do 2 200A panels and make it work? Our sub (the electrician) wants to do one 400A but per his quote, that is a lot more than doing 2 200A panels. Am I being overcharged or is that right? $1000 for the 400A panel? I see a Siemens panel on Amazon for ~$500. I'm fairly ignorant of the many terms I see around here (meter socket etc.) but I'm trying to read up. Appreciate your responses. Thanks in advance!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2016, 10:06 PM
    And what is the bid from other contractors for this.
    What is the price for this box at Lowe's or home Depo.
    Does this price include all of the breakers?
    Is this price also installing.

Mar 21, 2016, 10:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    And what is the bid from other contractors for this.
    What is the price for this box at Lowe's or home Depo.
    Does this price include all of the breakers?
    Is this price also installing.
    Actually the installation price is included as part of the general contract (whole home addition/remodel). But the contract said we pay extra for the parts/material for doing a 400A service. 200A panel materials is included in our cost.

So, unfortunately, I don't know the cost from other contractors for just this part. Also, I saw a 400A panel at HD for about $700 + tax.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 22, 2016, 01:34 AM
    I suggest you consider dropping the central tank-less water heater. If that unit pulls 150 A every time it is in use, which means every time you use the hot water your cost to operate it is going to be rather high.

It might be more reasonable to use smaller, under the counter heaters. Have you looked at that?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2016, 04:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
    Actually the installation price is included as part of the general contract (whole home addition/remodel). But the contract said we pay extra for the parts/material for doing a 400A service. 200A panel materials is included in our cost.

So, unfortunately, I don't know the cost from other contractors for just this part. Also, I saw a 400A panel at HD for about $700 + tax.
    In my humble opinion, the difference between the 400 amp panel and two 200 amp panels is small. Let him put in the 200 amp panels at the lessor cost, I doubt you'll ever know the difference.
    I also think the tank less water heater is a great idea. Most models are very efficient.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 22, 2016, 04:44 AM
    Am I being overcharged or is that right? $1000 for the 400A panel?
    What does this mean? No self-respecting electrician is going to break down prices on each item of a service upgrade, or even a remodel job. So saying "$1000 for the 400A panel?" is completely meaningless with out the context in which it was used.

I see a Siemens panel on Amazon for ~$500.
    This is one of the worst things you can do, compare prices of material to Amazon or a home center. The majority of the time it is apple to oranges and again, without the context is an empty comparison.

Mar 22, 2016, 10:08 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I am not sure my main question was coming through clearly. Is it in general better/easier (from a reliability, safety and ease of installation/maintenance point of view) to go with a single 400A panel than do 2 200A panels? Let's leave cost aside for the moment. What do we gain/lose by doing so?
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2016, 04:46 AM
    Thanks for your responses. I am not sure my main question was coming through clearly. Is it in general better/easier (from a reliability, safety and ease of installation/maintenance point of view) to go with a single 400A panel than do 2 200A panels? Let's leave cost aside for the moment. What do we gain/lose by doing so?
    balajisv, IMHO, there is little or no difference between using (2) 200 amp panels or (1) 400 amp panel from a safety or maintenance perspective. Personally I would prefer the (2) 200 amp panels...

Mar 27, 2016, 10:41 PM
    Thanks @hfcarson. Any reason why? It's a little too late for me to change now (we've gone with the 400A panel) but just wanted to know.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2016, 04:34 AM
    it could be argued that two panels provides some redundancy and more breaker
    slots for future addition....?
    and it was the less expensive option...
    it sounds like this project is done, I like done...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical Service Upgrade w/ second panel vs larger single panel [ 5 Answers ]

Bought a house recently that had the fuse box replaced with a panel that appears to be rated at 60 amps. Was planning to remodel the kitchen and add heat lamps to the baths, and as a result I need to upgrade to a higher amp service. An electrician looked at things and said he would have to update...

125 amp service panel tapped from the line side of my 200 amp service panel. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 125 amp service panel for my basement, being fed from the line side of my 200 amp service panel. Is this legal? Does the 10 foot tap rule apply here?

Proper grounding for 400A service and adjoining panel [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 400A service panel on the outside wall of a garage. For the time being it will only be supplying power to a 125A panel located on the inside wall of that garage. The 125A panel will be mounted inside the wall directly behind the 400A service, and the two will be connected by...

200 AMP Service panel to 200Amp Sub Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I getting new 200Amp service to surface mount service panel. I want to run 2oo cable to bring it sub panel in my Garage which is approx 120Ft Run through ceiling. 2 Questions 1. Is there any ristriction on running a 200AMP inside house to garage ? 2. I got a dirt cheap subpanel that has...

How Many Grounds Needed for a New 400A Service Entrance [ 5 Answers ]

I'm relocating and putting a new 400A meter main / service entrance (Milbank M400 feeding 2 200A subpanels) on the side of the new garage I'm building and I wanted to find out some information on what and how many grounds are needed? I've read for my area a ground connection is needed to the cold...

View more questions Search