Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Plumbing Stack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Plumbing side vents?
    I am trying to eliminate roof penetrations - Is it possible to vent the plumbing drains through a side wall vent? If so - any manufacturer information?:)
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 03:36 PM
    What fixtures are you trying to vent? Can you tell me if they allow studor vents in your area (may need to call the local plumbing inspector and ask him if these can be used in remodeling in your area)?

Otherwise, you may be able to vent outside wall... how far are windows, doors from where you want to pentrate? May need to run vents up into attic, but just connect all together in attic and make just one penetration... is this reasonable..

Try to describe what you are doing... how far from attic? Tell me size of vent out the roof now, and tell me the type of pipe we are talking about including the pipe out the roof penetration as it exists, and any other pipes in attic... get back to me... MARK

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbing Stack
    I am trying to eliminate roof penetrations - Is it possible to vent the plumbing drains through a side wall vent? If so - any manufacturer information?:)
    There's no "manufacturer information" but my code book has plenty to say.
    You may vent through a side wall with limitations. A wall vent must be approved by the Plumbing inspector. You may not locate any vent terminal beneath any door, window or any other ventilating opening. Also it can not be within 10 feet of such a opening unless it's at least 2 feet above such opening. This vent, if approved, must be turned ujp and screened at the terminal end.
    Hope this answers your question. Regards, Tom
    Plumbing Stack Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like I need to find a local plumbing code book. I work for the government and we build numerous facilities yearly - always have problems with flashing details - specifically roof penetrations. I was looking for a simle solution to pentrating the roof. The vent(s) would be utilized for typical three stall restroom fixtures / sinks and kitchen area. Most likely would need more than one vent. The facility would have a pitched metal standing seam roof.

Thanks again,
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 13, 2008, 05:39 AM
    The vent(s) would be utilized for typical three stall restroom fixtures / sinks and kitchen area. Most likely would need more than one vent.
    If a wall vent isn't allowed then you could revent back in the attic to just one vent out the roof. Just another option for you to think about. Good luck, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 05:44 AM
    I mentioned that in my earlier post Tom... :p Have a good day!
    So you did Mark, my bad!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exterior plumbing stack vents [ 8 Answers ]

How far from above operable doors and windows should exterior plumbing stack vents be?

Frozen Plumbing Vents in the Arctic [ 4 Answers ]

I know this topic has already been discussed, but I was hoping someone has some advice that will work for me. BACKGROUND: I live in Northern (nearly Arctic) Canada. The weather here gets extremely cold here for a really long time during the winter (we're talking -30's to -40's for months). My...

Plumbing vents [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a difference in a stacked vent and a vent stack

Plumbing vents [ 9 Answers ]

How do I extend the plumbing vents and install wind blocks?

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

View more questions Search