Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miamor1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 09:49 PM
    How do you if a goldfish is a male or female?
    I have two goldfish and think that they have eggs want to know if I have 2 male or 2 females or one of each?
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2011, 10:12 PM

You can usually only tell the sex of a goldfish when they are mature. I presume yours are adults if you think they have eggs.

The best way to distinguish between the sexes is to actually see them breed. Failing this, there are some general rules, but bear in mind that it depends upon the age, size, type and health of the fish.

Most often, a female is rounder and fuller bodied than a male and the vent area protrudes a bit. The males, in contrast, are usually longer and thinner and the vent (anal) area is concave. The males tend to get white pimples on their gills and pectoral fins when they are ready to spawn. Sometimes it is mistaken for 'ick' and healthy fish are treated needlessly.

Hope this helps a bit!

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Female becoming male [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible for a female to "stimulate" phallus growth without undergoing surgery? I do not wish to get rude comments for this questions or anything other then a straight forward answer, I've heard everything there is to say about why not to do it and I don't care, I only want to know if it is...

19 yo male with a 31 yo female [ 8 Answers ]

Is it wrong for a 19 yo to be with a 31 yo and if not would it work out cz I'm worryed for my friend that it's a bit much can any one help me so I can try and help my friend

Male or Female? [ 4 Answers ]

Male or Female? You might not have known this, but a lot of Non-living objects are actually either male or female. Here are some examples: FREEZER BAGS: They are male, because they hold everything in, but you can see right through them.

Male or female [ 2 Answers ]

I have two small dogs a yorkie and a silky, both are males. I want to get a boxer but not sure if I should get a male or female, Since the dog a bigger than the other two I think I should go with a female. Info please!

Female vs Male [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about getting a Calvier King Charles Spaniel a. Would they do well in a crate?? :confused: b.What would be better Male or Female?? :confused:

View more questions Search