Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lengkyx Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Jul 16, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Can we sell music transcriptions?
    Can we sell music transcriptions? I did some songs piano transcriptions. I'm just not sure if copyright won't allow me to sell them or what. I just thought I spent so much time on them and it would be cool to get some kaching.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 02:32 AM
    In the U.S. you can sell music transcriptions if they are of works that are already in the public domain as far as copyright.

I appreciate knowing what instrument for which you have written these transcriptions, and what kind of music that transcriptions are concerning, please?

Jul 27, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Oooh. OK. Hehe. Thanks for posting. It's an instrumental from the Korean movie My Sassy Girl. I believe it's entitled Ja Jang Ga. I did some other things like Every time by Britney Spears. Is it illegal to post them in blogs?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 01:33 AM
    If you are transcribing a piece of music that is still entitled to the privileges accorded to the holder of the copyright, then yes, it would be illegal to post them on a blog or blogs.

If you take the risk of posting them anyway, and someone finds them who happens to know the person or entity who or that owns the copyright, then the probability would be great that you might be in for some legal difficulties for doing things with the music without the permission of the original copyright holder.

However, if you don't plan on making any money by posting such things on the blogs, and if you obtain the written permission from the copyright holder(s), it may be possible for you to do such things without having to spend any money.

It all depends on the perspective of the person or entity that owns the copyright. Some of them might think it to be flattering that you have transcribed such things. If it does happen that you are allowed to post them on a blog or blogs, you would have to make sure of given proper written credit that is visible to all concerning who the original artist and or composer is.

You won't know until you ask the people who originally produced the works.

Jul 28, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Awrightie, got it. Thank you so much for taking your time to reply. Heehee.

God bless you!
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 09:44 PM
    God Bless You Too, lengkyx!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I sell [ 5 Answers ]

My wife left me for another man and has only come back to our house to get some clothes and other random items, mostly things you could take to a pawn shop. I have been told that she has abandoned the house and all properties within it are now mine. With the economy the way it is I need money and...

How do I insert a music player in my web site, to upload my own music in it? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I insert a music player in my web site, to upload my own music in it? Thanks to all who help me:)

How to sell ? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to sell these dum discount cards for a high school fund raiser. Any tips? No one seems happy to see anyone at their door trying to sell something, and their first instinct is to say "no" . I need to sell 10 cards today or I'm running A lot tomorrow at two-a-days.:eek:

View more questions Search