Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lizzy2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Landlord charging different rental amounts
    Hi-Is it legal for a landlord to charge a different rental amount? I live in a 2 bedroom and pay $625. Others are paying $595-$605.

How can they do this?

Waterford, MI
    Hundalei Posts: 65, Reputation: 4

Apr 30, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Do you live on a different level of the building? Have a different/better view? Balcony where other's might not? All of these things can affect how much rent is. FYI you'd be paying about $1200 for a 2 bedroom in any city in Canada, for $625 you get a room in someone's basement. Be happy! I'm sure the landlord has a reason, your bathroom is probably 2 feet bigger or something little like that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Yes, its perfectly legal for a landlord to charge different rentals for different units in the building. One reason there may be differences is timing. The people paying $595-$605 may be nearing the end of their lease, while the person paying $625 just signed a new lease. As hundalei pointed out, there may be subtle differences between the units that you don't know about, a different view, different floor, maybe a slightly different layout and several others.

If this bothers you, I would suggest you never get into a conversation with the people next to you on an airline. The differences in costs from one seat to another can be baffling.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
    This is legal. The landlord can charge you as much as he/she wants.
    Timing plays a big role here... the ones who pay $595 might have lived there for the past 10-12 years.
    Hundalei Posts: 65, Reputation: 4

Apr 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If this bothers you, I would suggest you never get into a conversation with the people next to you on an airline. The differences in costs from one seat to another can be baffling.

ROFL. That would be a good one to get the blood pressure going!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 02:17 PM
    To follow up on this yes, you will find this very much the case in major cities with rent control apartments, some people may be paying double what others are paying. Here in my complex there are about 5 rates for 2 bedrooms. Upstairs, or down stairs, and based on square footage, and based on what part of the complex it is in. Plus negotiate, if you can tell there are a lot ( alot) of empty apartments, if they want a certain amount, offer them slightly less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord violated item in Rental Agreement [ 3 Answers ]

I am the Landlord, but another family member does some of the maintenance such as tree trimming and more recently began fixing the roof. This family member didn't notify us that he was doing the roof repair. In turn we weren't able to give the tenant 24-hour notice of the repair. The tenant...

What rights do tenent/landlord have in share-rental situation [ 5 Answers ]

Situation: Landlord owns a 3 bedroom townhome. Landlord has entered into 3 separate rental agreements, with 3 different tenants, each of whom rent one of the bedrooms with shared access to remaining common areas (kitchen, living room, garage, etc). Landlord has stated that when one or more of...

Landlord charging hidden fees [ 8 Answers ]

My finance and I recently moved into an apartment in Jersey City, NJ in February of this year. We have been having problems paying rent... new jobs and transportation have gotten too expensive for us. We have been paying on time but have just barely been making it by each month. So, we spoke to the...

Obtaining Rental History from a former landlord [ 3 Answers ]

I need to obtain a letter about my rental history or a legitimate contact from a former landlord. I moved to Chicago from Los Angeles area in September 2005. I lived at the Los Angeles residence from 7/2000 to 9/2005. The building was sold to a company called 800 Gold LTD in 2002. The onsite...

View more questions Search