Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artie1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Methane Gas in house from Septic
    I recently bought a 5 year old home. The basement has had a bathroom roughed in, including the container for a sewage ejection pump. The problem I am having is there is an odor coming into the house through the as yet unsed connection. As near as I can tell, the discharge line does have a check valve mounted in it. My question is how does this valve operate? Does it require preasure of water trying to return into the basin to hold the valve closed? Since there is no water in the pipe (bathroom not installed) could this be why I am getting the smell. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Hi Artie,

" My question is how does this valve operate? Does it require preasure of water trying to return into the basin to hold the valve closed?"

Check valves come in two flavers. Spring loaded and swing check. The spring loaded my be installed in the vertical position as the spring keeps the flapper in the closed position. The swing check valves rely on gravity to keep the flapper closed and must be mounted in the horizontal position. If any crud or trash gets between the flapper and its seat then the valve is open and will allow liquid or gas to pass. Regards, tom
    artie1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Thanks for the help Tom!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic System [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Our house, located in central New York State, has a 1,000 gallon septic tank. The tank was cleaned last fall. There are only two people living in the house and we have had few visitors. Today, I noticed that the area where the tank discharges to the leach field is soggy and the grass is...

Septic system [ 5 Answers ]

How do you tell if a septic system is dead. And if so How do you correct the problem?

Septic Odor [ 1 Answers ]

For the past 3 months or so every time we flush the toilet it smells like sewage. It has only gotten worse and worse. It only seems to happen when we flush the toilet and will eventually go away... until we flush again. It stinks up the entire house now. We have tried to put stuff down the...

Septic smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

Every winter I get a sewage smell throughout my house. I have a basement with a crawl space at the end and from within this crawl space is where the smell originates. My furnace is about 10 feet from this 3 foot square hole which goes to the crawl space and you can feel and smell the odor coming...

Septic/new toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I'm building a studio behind my house with a half bath. Can I hook it up to the existing septic? How far can it be from the septic? Thanks.

View more questions Search