Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murphyjlc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Vintage stove- 3 wire 220v, what size wire?
    We recently purchased a vintage Crosley range. The old wire was a 3-wire 220v, connected to terminals in the back- the black and red wires were actually 6 or so copper strands, and the white was a silver metal. My question is, what amperage do you think I need? Will 10 be enough?

Thanks for your reply.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Sorry, no. The min wire size will be #8 typically NM-B cable AKA Romex on a 40 amp 2 pole circuit breaker. Need too check with local codes, as many areas have certain requirements.

Chicago is conduit only, Portland Maine is no EMT outdoors, for example.

May I suggest, since this sounds like a working antique, that it be checked out thoroughly before putting into operation, since you may not be familiar with it, and due to it's age and use. It may not cost that much to replace all the wiring with new for safety purposes, perhaps an investment even.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert Four Wire to Three wire for stove [ 12 Answers ]

Hi. I had a four wire circuit from a dryer that I needed to convert to a NEMA 10-50R for my new Whirlpool electric range. I wired the new receptacle with two hots a and GROUND and capped off the neutral. I tested from the hots to the ground and I get 120V. From hot to hot I get 240 Volts. The...

Electric stove install wire size/type [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a Peerless electric stove the plate on it says " Three wire 120/208 volt 60 cycle ac , wattage 8800. I have a GE powermark gold loadcenter with about 10 empty blanks for breakers. The loadcenter is about 75 to 80 feet from the stove location. What size/type wire should I use? What...

How to wire 220v Fasco heater ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older hot air (fan driven over coils) in wall heater. In is essentially new in a box never used for about 8 years. I want to use it now, but when I went to wire it up I can't figure out where the neutral should be connected to. The unit has a Black, Red and frame ground ready to be...

220V 3-wire dryer receptacle [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved in and the dryer won't heat. I'm trying to troubleshoot so the first thing I checked is the receptacle it's an old 3-wire. One leg shows ~238V the other shows ~116V is that normal?

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

View more questions Search