Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ljchavez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Americans retiring in Spain
    My husband and I are near retirement age and want to explore our options as far as place of retirement. We lived in Granada, Spain, in 2001 and loved it. If we moved to Spain, how would we handle health care? Is it possible to received Medicare, or is there another option? What happens with our Social Security? What would the tax situation be? Is there an agency we can contact for more information? This is a preliminary exploration and we would appreciate any guidance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 9, 2007, 08:53 AM
    I don't know how US citizens handle it, but Canadians retiring to other parts of the world have to return every six months to keep their socialized medicine and old age security benefits. I suggest you contact your appropriate government office taking care of your OAS benefits. Could be you would find out on line.
    godivademaus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 10:24 PM
    US Retirees receiving Social Security can have their checks deposited directly into their Spanish bank account and there are no requirements to return "every so often" such as the earlier poster posits. While you may not be required (because of your income) to file US income tax, it's a good idea so that it shows you are wanting to maintain citizenship. Now, onto healthcare and that's a trickier situation and honestly I don't know all the answers.

If you do work some while you are in Spain, and you pay into the Spanish social security system from that job (Spain and US have a reciprocal agreement) and work for a given amount of time (you'd have to check with Spain on this, or better yet, the SS office has an actual informational packet they can send you about this very issue), you will be eligible for the Spanish Healthcare system. Medicare is useless overseas, so, at least in the very beginning you will need to purchase your own medical policy for your time in Spain.

Aug 5, 2010, 10:24 PM
    US Retirees receiving Social Security can have their checks deposited directly into their Spanish bank account and there are no requirements to return "every so often" such as the earlier poster posits. While you may not be required (because of your income) to file US income tax, it's a good idea so that it shows you are wanting to maintain citizenship. Now, onto healthcare and that's a trickier situation and honestly I don't know all the answers.

If you do work some while you are in Spain, and you pay into the Spanish social security system from that job (Spain and US have a reciprocal agreement) and work for a given amount of time (you'd have to check with Spain on this, or better yet, the SS office has an actual informational packet they can send you about this very issue), you will be eligible for the Spanish Healthcare system. Medicare is useless overseas, so, at least in the very beginning you will need to purchase your own medical policy for your time in Spain.
    bentdavi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2011, 03:24 PM
    Did you ever get your answer? We are trying to do the same as you. We did purchase an apartment near Marbella, and intend to live 6 month out of the year.
    Please let me know if you have an answer to share

Feb 6, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Well, I was giving an answer. Regardless of whether you maintain your residence in the US during the year (say 6 months. Out and six months in), if you continue your medicaid/medicare coverage in the US (making your premiums) it still will not be valid outside the US, so if you needed any treatment, you would have to return for this.

If you wanted to participate in the Spanish healthcare system, you would need to work a certain period in Spain and pay into their system. I'm not sure of the requirements for this, but if I had to guess, I would say at least one year. However, don't take my guess for it, inquire through social security or through Spain directly to get your answer.

Currently up to 86,000 USD of income earned in Spain is exempt from US taxes, but that's if you're a foreign resident... I have no idea what the deal is if you're literally splitting your time 50/50 and probably less than 50% of your income would be in Spain. Again, something you'll need to research for your own personal circumstances (because nuances matter here).

So, no, I didn't get an answer. My move to Spain will be significantly post-poned and/or cancelled in that the economy there is so poor that my move would require too great a burden on my family.

But I'm always looking for a way to reunite with them...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Culture traits of americans [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know what a culture trait is? What are some culture traits of americans?

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

Retiring to Spain - taxes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everybody! I'm Spanish and my husband is American. He retired last year and although we are living in the U.S. we are thinking about living in Spain permanently. If we move to Spain I will be working there and we are not thinking about buying a property there but about renting something. We...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search