Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VeeForTee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Starter solenoid gremlin?
    Vehicle 1998 Volvo V40 T4.

Occasionally, when I turned the key, I only get a single click and no turn over. It appeared to be a parasitic battery drain. I hooked up the test light in series with the negative post and cable. Pulled each fuse on at a time, and the light never went out. Hhhmmm... Next day, no problem.

I replaced the battery since it was old. Seemed worth the time/effort. I went for several weeks without a problem.

Yesterday, same thing. Only a click. I hooked it up via jump cables to the "good car" and initially, it wouldn't turn over... just a click. After a few attempts and about 20 minutes on the cables, it finally started... very strongly. It acts as if a switch has been turned off and on.

So... is it possible for there to be a problem inside the starter solenoid that is causing it to drain the battery... yet still work whenever it feels like it? Do solenoids fail intermittently?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 06:43 AM
    See if these suggestions help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post235560

May 29, 2007, 08:30 AM
    #1 might be the problem.

I have replaced the negative cable and ensured a clean, tight connection.

I now need to work from the positive terminal to the starter, etc. and do the same.

I can hear the relay clicking inside the underhood fusebox... so things seem okay there. And... given the test I performed with the test light, then it seems it has to be something without a fuse... like the starter solenoid.

I just wondered if the solenoid itself could fail one moment and work the next?

May 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
    Actually... I've spent an hour or so looking over the repair manual.

What do you think about the idea that the ignition coil might be failing intermittently? I was driving down the street one day and the car shut off, but it restarted immediately. Maybe that was a signal?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 29, 2007, 02:03 PM
    If the starter motor doesn't crank consistently, then the problem is likely with the battery, starter motor, or solenoid. If the starter motor cranks, but the engine doesn't start, then I would have the Ignition Control Module and coil checked out at AutoZone for free. I would also have the ICM and coil tested/replaced if the car died on you, while you were driving.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn mower starter solenoid wiring diagram [ 7 Answers ]

I need to get a print out of soleniod wiring for my b & s 12 horse power riding lawn mower

2001 Honda Civic - Starter - Can you show me the location of the starter? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having starting problems with my 2001 Honda Civic EX 4DR. This is the first problem with the car and I can't find the starter. Can you help?

B & S Solenoid relay [ 2 Answers ]

Can you assist me with testing procedures for a 12v, B & S Vanguard motor, relay solenoid. Can it be tested when removed from the mower? speedy2460

Solenoid [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to test the soleniod for the reversing valve on a heat pump? :confused:

View more questions Search