Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slimtato84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 12:13 PM
    My landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit!
    I left a week ago, I let them know with a month in advance, I forgot to pick some garbage out, I painted the studio with their autorization, now he's telling me that I left the garbage and that he didn't gave me autorization to paint.
    I don't know what to do to get my $850 deposit back?
    melissaswitzer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2011, 12:57 PM
    To be honest you may not get it back unless u go to small claims court . You may try to persuade him that it is the right thing to do but any other rash behavior may put you back if it is worth getting your money back talk to a lawyer or look up a number for free legal advice
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 8, 2011, 01:16 PM
    What state is this in?
    Tenants need everything in WRITING. Also, giving notice does not mean you don't forfeit a deposit, depending on what the deposit was for and what kind of lease you ended. Small claims might be worth it, but if you broke a yearly lease, and if he has pictures of the garbage you 'forgot' and how much of it there was, and how good or bad the painting was, you might lose your case and the filing fee.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2011, 02:23 PM
    He has a right to charge for the cleaning up of the garbage.
    The painting ? Do you have it in writing, he gave permission? If not it is up to the judge to decide who they believe.

Is there a written lease ? A written rental agreement ?

But you sue him, showing that you gave a full month notice, 1st of the month to end of the month, not middle to middle. You prove you had permission to paint, and show photos of how clean you left the apartment.

He will need to show how much money he spent in cleaning up the apartment and then how much it cost to repaint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Won't give me my deposit back [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Florida, I was talking to this lady and I was going to rent a duplex unit from her, I asked her before hand about the credit requiremtns because I have bed credit and she said it was okay. I went to go see the apartment and I liked it, I gave her a deposit of $150, I spoke to her later...

My Landlord Won't Give Me My Deposit Back I singed a contact in October 2008 for six [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented a property from October 2008 for six months since then I have continued living and paying rent in the property with no further contract as when I asked for one was told it is a rolling rent now I want my deposit back to move and the original agent that I pay the rent to and who took...

Landlord will not return deposit and will not give itemized list of how it was spent [ 8 Answers ]

Our landlord gave us 30 days notice after we lived there for 2 years (one year lease and then one year month to month). I had 2 major reconstructive back surgeries and have been deemed by the State of California as permanently disabled since the time we moved in. He gave us a 30 day notice one...

My landlord doesn't want to give me back my deposit [ 7 Answers ]

The landlord is in the middle of divorce' process and they decided to sell the house, but he said that his ex-wife should pay the deposit because she was the agent who made the rental agreement because she used to work as a real state but not anymore, she said that he said that she is not in charge...

View more questions Search