Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeff51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2007, 12:28 PM
    What could bend push rods on john deere gx345
    Hi,
    I have a 2 yr old John Deere GX345 riding lawn tractor with the Kawasaki motor. Serial number mdg3458114794 with a 54inch cut mower deck. It has 360 hrs on it all mowing my 4 acre lawn. Recently after taking a break in mowing, I tried to restart my tractor and it's wouldn't start. I checked everything I knew but to no avail, so I took it to the local JD dealer where I purchased it. I take very good cary of my JD and have it serviced yearly at this same dealer. They had to literly disassemble the whole engine to diagnos the problem. They found bent push rods in the intake and exhaust valves. They had to have the head shaved and after all said and done, the bill was in excess of $700. Fortunately after a brief discussion with the manager and a quick call to the factory rep, ( since it was just out of warranty) they met met half way on the charges because they couldn't give me a reason why this could have happened. "bad gas" was the suspected cause. Any ideas as to what other reasons could have caused this?

Thanks!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Your valve could have bent , or if it had set for awhile, (couple of months or longer) could have
    "frozen" in place, or the tappet arm could have come off, any of these could have caused the pushrod to get bent. Remove the tappet cover(valve cover) , and inspect.
    jd no1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Hi,I had the same problem with our 1998 LX188 when it was only 3 months old done 26 hours was mowing lawn 1.5 acres and went inside to sample hot scones 15min later went to restart mower and would only run on one cylinder, as we are 2hrs from dealer I removed spark plugs and gave compression test, nothing on L/H/ cylinder, removing tappet cover to find push rod bent and out of the rocker, agent supplied new rod and after adjusting tappets I never had any more problems with it. No one cold give ME any answers, sold it 18 months ago to our neighbour and purchased a GX345 now done 90hrs What a machine my wife LOVES it, power steering ,diff lock for our slopes, hydralic deck,I do my own servicing as a mechanic and garage owner.have just purchased another LX188 for our lifestyle block 2hrs away.Its interesting that both machines are Kawasaki water cooled motors.Warren

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere replacement [ 10 Answers ]

Hi I have a JD L120 with 65hrs and a failed Hydro, Luckily its 23months old and will receive a new Hydro under warranty. As it has only lasted 1 1/2 summers I am sceptical to it's longevity. I mow a series of slopes covering 6 acres. I am interested in a replacement that will last, any...

John Deere 160 [ 2 Answers ]

I took the floating deck off, when I put it back on, it will not move. I have an owner's manual, but it's no help. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of how to reattach the deck? THanks, AWE

John Deere L110 [ 3 Answers ]

John deere model L110 Mower was working fine. I got off it to add more gas, when I got back on it would not start. I turn the key and nothing, no clicking, nothing. I disconnected the pressure switch from the seat and still nothing. Mower blades are not engaged. What am I missing, it still...

John Deere shuts itself off [ 3 Answers ]

John Deere tractor, L120, 3 years old. Tractor is shutting itself off after 45 minutes of use. It will restart only by keeping the choke and throttle wide open (to get myself back to my garage so I don't have to push it.) I THINK I eliminated a fuel problem, as I have blown out all fuel lines,...

John Deere 318 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a John Deere 318 with an Onan engine. When I try to move the mower it wants to die after the hydrostat safety switch is released. If I "tie" down the safety switch I can drive it, but it dies as I hit the mowing deck. Any hints on what to replace? Thanks, Rod Hite

View more questions Search