Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mack19 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
    Dying my Dark Brown Hair Lighter: Just Need a Little Guidance!
    I am thinking about coloring my hair lighter. Not only do I want a bit of a change but I'd also like to bring my hair color close to my natural one. I haven't dyed my hair in over six months but the last time I had it was a permanent dye. It was L'Oreal Natural Match to be even more specific and I believe it was in the 5s. Right now it's a medium a tad darkish brown, I just want to lighten it to more of a light brown. Unfortunately at this time I just can't afford the professionals. L'Oreal color fix and such aren't an option for me either. I've heard not so great things about such products and they are hard to come by where I live.

My hair color now and my natural color aren't too far off, I mean they aren't on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I have let it grow out for a while and the roots are a shade or two lighter than the bottom. I just don't want any funky colors, rather something natural looking. I don't have the experience to know how to go about doing this. I have a bit of a spectrum from light to dark, top to bottom, I would like to know if the dying cover this with one common color or if it will just reinforce it.

Is there any particular way to go about doing this? Any suggestions? Should I be looking at a hair dye a couple shades lighter? Is there anything I will want to be careful about because of my previous dying? Is this even possible or am I being too optimistic?

Like I said I'm not a voice of experience at all! :p Help a girl out will you?
    help2many Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Just because I am still recovering from my last coloring- be CAREFUL how long it's left on-- my got burnt in the front and I have this little shock of frizzy "bangs" and I never had bangs before!!
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
    If you want to go from dark brown to light brown or lighter, you will need to lighten your hair with bleach and then apply the desired color. Anything other than that will result in a red/orange shade. To avoid a hair disaster, you should consider getting your hair professionally done.
    Mack19 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Should I decide to go to a professional on average how much does this procedure regularly cost?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 7, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Beauty salons may charge different prices for each of the services they offer. You might want to do some research on the salons in your area to find out which one offers a great service at reasonable prices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from Dark Brown to lighter [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: I am a 56 year old woman who has been dying my hair my old natural color which was dark brown. I find I now have more grey hair, and have to do my roots about every 2-3 weeks. This is resulting in dull, over-dyed hair. My hairdresser suggests I go lighter. I'm not sure I would like myself...

Dying dark brown/black hair lighter [ 1 Answers ]

I've been wanting to dye my hair a shade lighter or just lighter in general, but I'm not sure that it will work, seeing as I have dark brwon hair. Are there any natural lightening products for dark/brown hair I can use? Or What coulour highlights should I add to my hair?

Get rid of brassiness when coloring brown hair lighter! [ 0 Answers ]

How can I get rid of the orange/brassiness in my medium-light brown hair when I color my hair ultra light brown? Should I try and ultra-light ash brown color?

Dying dark brown to lighter brown [ 3 Answers ]

My granddaughter wants to dye her hair(previously colored about a month and1/2 ago)from dark brown to a light brown/blond. We cannot afford to do it in salon. What can I do to help her myself.

Dying hair a lighter color [ 8 Answers ]

Long story short. My hair bleaches out a lot in the sun and I did some stuff to help bleach it out too Anyway yesterday I bought dark brown hair dye so I could get my hair back to normal! But now my hair is like black! I have washed it a lot and its no longer black but it is still a really dark...

View more questions Search