Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    a14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Troubleshooting Hampton Bay remote fans
    Hi. I have a HB remote fan. I have replaced the receiver twice already because upon installing the receiver and turning on the light/fan w the remote there has been a loud POP and the receiver smells burnt and is toast. I have appropriate voltage coming in-so can anyone help?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Sounds like it is wired wrong or you have a defective component. You will have to test for this on your end.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 01:10 PM
    Proper instructions for troubleshooting a Hampton Bay Remote Fan:

1. Remove fan
    2. Place in garbage
    3. Repeat for any additional fans

Is it a built-in receiver or a fan with pullchains and an added receiver?
    a14 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
    It is a built-in receiver type, with no pull chains. Any ideas?
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
    You have confirmed that you have 120vAC and wired correctly? Does the fan work for some time and then break, or break right away?
    hdguy Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Sure sounds like a wire is reversed. Are you sure the hot is actually hot? Did you determine that with a VOM or some other method?

Did you jot down all the wire colors that you connected? Post 'em and we can check that out.

Jimmy
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Even if you have hot and neutral reversed it shouldn't consistently short receivers. Not a bad idea to measure voltage-to-ground anyway if you haven't done so already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Remote Video/fan Remote Control [ 16 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay Video & Fan Remote Control (Model #UR8050T). It has been working fine for about 2 years until it recently began malfunctioning. It still operates the television, but the use of the fan/light features has stopped working. It will not turn the fan on or off, and the light is...

Hampton bay ceiling fans [ 2 Answers ]

I can't get my remote to work for my Hampton Bay Ceiling fan. Is there a website I can go to to get the user manual for it? The grandkids were playing with it and now it won't work.:confused:

Hampton bay fans [ 3 Answers ]

We just got a hampton bay ceiling fan(the one with the hand carved wood leaflook blades) . We have the fan up and running and the light kit hooked up and it works but the golbe that comes with the light kit will not go on right. When we put the globe on it touches the blades causing the light to...

Hampton bay remote and fans [ 3 Answers ]

OK I moved into this house and there are two hampton bay fans with lights On both fans the lights do not work. On one of the fans I cannot get the Fan to go on to whatever speed I want, it is at the lowest and will not change. Now I found a remote here from hampton bay and someone things it...

My dilemma with Hampton Bay fans... [ 7 Answers ]

I have two 52" Maplewood ceiling fans by Hampton Bay. Both of them are inoperative because I cannot pull the cord switch from the center of the fan to turn the light on or off. Can you help me? What exacerbates the damn thing is that I have two new ones that I haven't mounted yet and this will be...

View more questions Search