Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    subsanta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 07:32 AM
    COmputer Filled with problems
    My Computer has so many problems
    My computer has so many problems and I've looked around on the internet and I've managed to fix some of them.
    I know that I have a few viruses on my computer, but I can't get rid of them, in one case I think I have one on my iPod "boot.exe" and I can't get rid of it. All of the antivirus programs I've tried either don't pick it up or can't scan my iPod.
    Den I have "copy.exe" which I don't know how to fix either.
    Task manager and regedit were disabled, but I fixed that, but I still don't have the start>run option and my windows xp skin has disappeared and has opted for the outdated 95/98 skin.
    My folder options is also disbled, and I tried a reg fix which I found on the internet but it doesn't work!

My other computer had the same symptoms, except I also had a problem with the process "lsass.exe" and I nothing was fixed. I tried a few antiviruses here too, but they would get rid of the virus, but it would immediately come back.
    Den after a while, my computer would boot up and would get to the "logon on screen", but it was all black and all I could see was my mouse and my keyboard didn't do anything. This was the case in safe mode too.

So I managed to reinstall windows XP pro by hooking my hard drive up to another computer, since my disc drives had a problem reading the boot CS, and it started working...
    So I shut down, put the hard drive back on the other computer and now when it gets to the boot screen, it restarts. I tried to hook it up to the other computer I used to install windows XP and the same thing happens. I also tried to install XP again, but the when I use the boot CD it won't read my hard drive. And I have a lot of valuable information on that hard drive so formatting is not an option.
    I think I might have a problem with the booting sequence, cause I had a program called Boot Skin which changes the picture on the boot screen, but I don't know how to get rid of it.
    I also suspect I got the virus from my friend when I gave him my iPod, cause I don't have internet on either of these computers.

PLEASE HELP ME! I haven't used my computer for almost a month and I need it for school and what not. Thanks in advance.

P.S.
    This is the hijackthis log from the computer which does actually load should it help...
    By the way this computer, is only used for music production and there's a folder on my iPod call ".spotlight-v100" ]. I don't know what it is and I can't get rid of it.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 02:16:45 PM, on 06/05/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers\MMERefresh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAFWTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
    C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI HydraVision\HydraDM.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\Playlist.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\JP\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = quicknews.info - Dynadot Parking
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [PtiuPbmd] Rundll32.exe ptipbm.dll,SetWriteBack
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [RoxioEngineUtility] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\System\EngUtil.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [RoxioDragToDisc] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [RoxioAudioCentral] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\AudioCentral\RxMon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [MAFWTaskbarApp] C:\WINDOWS\system32\MAFWTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [H2O] C:\Program Files\SyncroSoft\Pos\H2O\cledx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [HydraVisionDesktopManager] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI HydraVision\HydraDM.exe
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [DigidesignMMERefresh] C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers\MMERefresh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [SpyHunter] C:\Program Files\Enigma Software Group\SpyHunter\SpyHunter.exe
    O4 - HKLM\.. \Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
    O4 - HKCU\.. \Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Client to monitor &1 - C:\WINDOWS\web\AOpenClient.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Client to monitor &2 - C:\WINDOWS\web\AOpenClient.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! IAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: Digidesign MME Refresh Service (DigiRefresh) - Digidesign, A Division of Avid Technology, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Drivers\MMERefresh.exe
    O23 - Service: digiSPTIService - Digidesign, A Division of Avid Technology, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Pro Tools\digiSPTIService.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: SoundMAX Agent Service (SoundMAX Agent Service (default)) - Analog Devices, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

May 7, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Buy or borrow an empty hard drive (even a brand new one is very cheap these days) and install Windows onto that. Install it as the Master Drive and install your old drive as the slave drive.

Run a full virus/spyware/malware scan on your old drive (use an anti root-kit too).
    You will probably lose some of the files but most of them will be salvageable.

Also, dump Avast and use AVG instead; AVG consistently performs better than Avast.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 8, 2007, 10:07 AM
    One did you complete format the Hard drives. This gets rid of all virus,Problems etc before reinstalling Windows Xp only problem with formatting is it gets rid of stuff you may want to keep but only best way to get rid off problems, so individely scan each file you want to keep and place on a drive that is virus and problem free. Also only have one antivirus program and one anti-spyware program on your computer as have 2 or more can make them co-conflicted and not detect virus or spyware. As for your other problems, it should like systems files my have been damaged or completely missing because of all the problems you had. Same thing happed to me. My hard drive was starting to go bad and it damaged some of the systems files and then my computer started looping around the start up. Way I fixed this was Backup, got new Drive and re-installed windows xp. Same thing for you I think. Now as for virus programs I'am using Avg Anti virus and anti-spyware. Now there are other ways of clearing problems, Disk Cleans, Defrag, Windows defender should all be used, also removing of cookies and generally maintanance will go along way. Also going to http://www.update.microsoft.com will help keep your computer updated it's also where you can download new security protocol's and windows defender. Seggest doing this other you completely backup important documents, format and reinstall windows
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 8, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

May 8, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Install over the top of the original windows xp doesn't neccesarally get rid of all problems and viruses on a computer though. Only way to get rid of all problems is to Backup all important documents on a virus free spare hard drive or disk and completely formatting and re-installing windows.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 8, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Dchd, true and as a last resort that's exactly what I'd go for AFTER exhausting other possibilities.
    I've only had to do that once so far.
    Sometimes it's a lot better to cut your losses and format the SOB ;)

I didi have a mchine that I got very close to do this with but after removing 700 + viruses and 1,200 bits of other malware, housecall finally help me crack it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer problems! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello My computer keeps freezing from time to time and vertical lines appear on the screen and it shakes. I have absolutely no idea why this happens and how to fix it. I've read on various sites about re-installing drivers. Does this really help? And how do you go about actually doing that? Can...

Computer problems [ 4 Answers ]

I've been trying to get my computer back up for about a week. About a week and a half ago my computer was getting slow so I reformated, which I've done before whenever it gets bad. After I reformated, my computer would flash a black screen whenever I exited a program that would take over the screen...

Win XP PRO problems with a new computer [ 5 Answers ]

I currently have a Celeron 2.4 GHz and I have XP PRO SP2 installed on it. I went to a shop and bought myself an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (dual core) with an ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard and 1GB of RAM. I got it home, assembled it, connected my "old" hard disk which I used on my Celeron, and...

Computer is slow and other problems... [ 2 Answers ]

Well ever since a couple days ago my PC has been running slow, like something is stressing it out. Like, when I go on AOL Instant Messenger before the program starts up its memory usage (from task manager) is 5,000 then when it connects and it fully started up its memory usage is like 29,000! And...

View more questions Search