Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TeachX3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2015, 03:13 PM
    Our electric furnace coils click on and off and heat up even when thermostat is off?
    Smelling an electric 'overheating' smell, I traced it down to the furnace. Took off the cover and cleaned all dust, pet hair, etc... thoroughly. Lots of heat rising up from it, even if the furnace is off and not blowing. I've turned the thermostat to off, but still the furnace is clicking on (and the heating coils are heating up - I can see them through the cracks of the casing) and off again.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2015, 05:06 PM
    Turn off the power at the breaker. Mark & disconnect all thermostat wires from the furnace. Turn the breaker(s) back on. If the problem goes away, the problem is either at the thermostat or wiring. If the problem persists, you likely have a stuck relay.
    TeachX3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2015, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Grady White View Post
    Turn off the power at the breaker. Mark & disconnect all thermostat wires from the furnace. Turn the breaker(s) back on. If the problem goes away, the problem is either at the thermostat or wiring. If the problem persists, you likely have a stuck relay.
    Thank you for your reply Grady White :) We had it fixed this morning bright and early (my husband nor I am handy, so called in a professional), it was a sequencer (the large one)... boy that was a pricey fix! Again, we appreciate your response!
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2015, 03:15 PM
    Glad you are up & running. Weekend service calls can get expensive pretty quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No heat. Thermostat won't even click on. Flipped breaker several times [ 3 Answers ]

No heat. No images just freezing but off

My furnace is making a buzzing noise when I click on the thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is making a buzzing noise (have heat) when I click on the thermostat. What is the problem?

Colman electric furnace the heat keep running thermostat is switched off [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to happen once a week for some reason on thursdays. After I switch the breaker off I can hear something in the furnace click before I can get the cover off. Probably something resetting . Is this a bad sequencer. The part number I have is 15sh22 and the furnace model is EB20B. Any help will...

Goodman electric heat pump furnace,I set the thermostat at 72 but won't get above 68 [ 0 Answers ]

Me and my wife just bought this house,the fella we bought it from had a new furnace installed it's a goodman electric heat pump furnace,it's still under warranty,but instead of calling and having to wait on someone to come out to the house I would like to fix myself,I set the thermostat at 72 but...

Goodman heat pump does not click off when thermostat reaches desired temp [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goodman heat pump model #a32-10 controlled by a Honeywell Thermostat model #RTH3100C-installed last winter. Temperature in South Carolina this week has been ranging in the day in the lower to mid-40's and at night ranging in 20's or teens. I usually keep thermostat set between 66-68. The...

View more questions Search