Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmwade Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit.
    Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump tenant wouldn't fix cost $235 which I paid. The well pump also went out and I repaired at $485. Tenant is refusing to pay for repairs and rent. I gave them 5 day pay or quit notice and the time is up. I will file unlawful detainer in next day or so. Tenant had very little option money and signed $4800 promissory note which they have paid $400 and are now in default on promissory note. They have also defaulted on lease agreement. The agreement states the tenant will be responsible for lease until I re-lease the property. They also signed a property inspection affidavit stating the property is being leased with option-to -buy in "as is" condition and all systems were working fine when they moved in. They also signed Tenant/Disclosure which states that series of contracts and agreements establishes landlord-tenant relationship and they have also violated the language of this disclosure.
    What is the fastest way to get them out? Should I take their money with reservation even though I'm asking for possession? Are they obligated by contract to pay balance of promissory note? Will I be able to get judgement for lease amount until I am able to lease? Lease is 1000monthly and option is 200 monthly. Should I show 1200 or 1000 on unlawful detainer and do I show promissory note balance and reimbursement for repairs also? Any input would be greatly appreciated because I need the tenants out ASAP.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 04:28 PM
    How do you prove you hand delivered the letter, did you have a witness with you ? On video ?

If they say in court, no your honor we never got it, how do you prove you did ?
    jmwade Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Yes I had a witness with me that also signed the notice as witness.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Pay Rent or Quit in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

Can a pay rent or quit form be delivered by registered mail in VA or must it be served?

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

Pay Rent or Quit in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tenant that I have repeatedly tried to work with over the course of his lease regarding paying the rent. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with his inability to pay. Including late fees, he is currently $1,985 behind on rent. That's $625/month (@ 3 months) plus a...

View more questions Search