Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kurta1johnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light
    I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely.

Emerging from the fan's light housing are two wires, black and white. If I follow the black wire into the housing, I can see a red wire as its source. I tested the black and white wires from the light housing with a multimeter and using ACV and there is no current. Based on all this, I presume the red wire from the top of the fan that is capped is what powers the light. There is a chain for the light which I intend on keeping "on" indefinitely.

I'd like a single wall switch to turn on the fan and the light simultaneously. If from the top of the ceiling fan, I connect the black and red wire together to the black from the ceiling, will I accomplish what I set out to do in a safe manner. I'm a little reluctant to just test it for fear that I'll fry something.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 12:38 PM
    You can tie your red and black from fan to ceiling black, both will be switched together.
    You can turn either off by pull chain.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2007, 08:24 PM
    You both are correct.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a chain switch for ceiling fan light. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey all. Listen, I am attempting to install a chain switch to the light on the ceiling fan. It never had a chain switch and all there is are the two wires that go to the light bulb socket. The switch that I bought has a red, black and blue wire. Any idea how I go about putting this thing...

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

Fan and light kit are on the same switch. Want to change it. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just purchased a new construction home and I am wanting to figure out the easiest way to put the fans and light kits on separate switches or controls. I have a large vaulted rectangular living room that has two fans with a light kit on each fan. Both of the fans and the light kits are...

Ceiling Fan Light Kit [ 4 Answers ]

I've been trying to figure out how to do this and I'm slowly getting there. I wasn't able to buy just the light switch itself, I had to buy the whole unit with one black wire and one white wire coming out top. I'm assuming that has to go back up into the fan unit but I'm stumped as to how I get...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

View more questions Search